scarlett solo first gen

willy25

Hi guys, i have scarlett solo first gen and when i connect them to my monitor speakers i get this annoying like bright hiss sound like when you hear a mosquito lol. is it my speakers or interface. i already checked the cables. o yeah if i connect it to my logitech speakers the noise is gone

Last edited:
Hi guys, i have scarlett solo first gen and when i connect them to my monitor speakers i get this annoying like bright hiss sound like when you hear a mosquito lol. is it my speakers or interface. i already checked the cables. o yeah if i connect it to my logitech speakers the noise is gone

I am going to guess that the full setup is...Solo>PC>monitors and both the PC and monitors are mains powered? If so and computer is a laptop does it hiss on battery?

If a desktop make sure the monitors and it share the same mains outlet (or run both on same strip) See, I am guessing you have a 'digital' earth/ground loop.

Post a clip of the noise. An MP3 if you can but if not something I can play!

Dave.

I am going to guess that the full setup is...Solo>PC>monitors and both the PC and monitors are mains powered? If so and computer is a laptop does it hiss on battery?

If a desktop make sure the monitors and it share the same mains outlet (or run both on same strip) See, I am guessing you have a 'digital' earth/ground loop.

Post a clip of the noise. An MP3 if you can but if not something I can play!

Dave.

i connected the computer to the wall. and it seem that it worked! i have this cheap power strip how could that be the issue?

Last edited:
" i have this cheap power strip how could that be the issue? " Two ways. Most likely, the two devices had separate mains earth paths (plus the audio earth) and this allowed the generation of a 'ground current' which got into the audio path. Have the devices on the same outlet means no ground path difference resistance and hence no hum voltage.

Or/and. That cheap strip probably contains the seemingly obligatory 'surge suppression and filter circuits'. Wrongly implemented these can actually make ground current issues worse.

There are more elegant ways to eliminate ground noise but I would need to know the make and model of the monitors and if you can solder!

BTW. The Logiteks I will bet use a 2 core mains lead or are rat powered.

Dave.

I have just discovered that the Solo does not have balanced outputs (KNEW there was another reason I didn't like them!) so even if the monitors have balanced inputs, and only the very cheapest don't, you are still stuffed.

Fortunately, assuming you have some cables, you can get over the problem a good 90% of the time with a couple of resistors and a solder iron. There is the transformer solution but it is a good deal more expensive.

Will post pics if required.

Dave.

I have just discovered that the Solo does not have balanced outputs (KNEW there was another reason I didn't like them!) so even if the monitors have balanced inputs, and only the very cheapest don't, you are still stuffed.

Fortunately, assuming you have some cables, you can get over the problem a good 90% of the time with a couple of resistors and a solder iron. There is the transformer solution but it is a good deal more expensive.

Will post pics if required.

Dave.

Thanks for the reply. that noise was really annoying! thanks to you is gone and thanks for the info too.

ill probably get a new interface with balanced outputs but not a scarlett! they still have issues with the 2nd gen. any recommendations?

sorry for my novice questions, but theres a common noise i think we all here that come out from speakers. the white noise, is that right? well i can hear it only when i get a few inches close to my monitor. is that normal in all speakers or there has to be no noise? it still there even when nothing is connected. but the funny thing is that is not coming from the speaker itself its coming somewhere from the top where that little tiny ball speaker is at. ( sorry idk what is call! haha ) anyways, it doesnt bother me like the issue i had before. im like one foot away and i cant hear it. just curiosity. btw they are JBLs LSR305. thanks

Back