Scarlett 2i2 monitor output help

Tim Sauers

I just bough the focusrite scarlett 2i2 and diving into the world of computer recording. I have 2 tannoy powered studio monitors. I followed the installation instructions and got the audio to come out of the right speaker but there is nothing but hum coming out of the left speaker. I am lost and not sure why one would work and not the other. So I switched the cables and the sound and hum switched so I would assume it is a audio cable issue. Is there something I can do to verify this before I drop more money on new cable

If the hum follows the cable, then you definitely have a bad one.

If you have a multimeter, check continuity on all pins. It sounds as if one of the pins has shorted somewhere. Once you find the errant wire, resolder all the connections and recheck.

If the cables were premade by someone like HOSA, they should have a warranty.

What is the source of your audio? I doubt the 2i2 nor the cables are bad, but we need more info to determine the cause.

If you had audio out of right speaker and hum out of left, then switched the cable around, with the result being hum in right, audio in left, you at least know that both speakers are ok.

If you swapped the cable at both ends (i.e. the speaker inputs and the 2i2 outputs), it suggests a bad cable.

If you swapped the cable at just one end (i.e. either at the speaker inputs or at the 2i2 outputs), it could be the cable, but it could also be an issue with the 2i2 (or further up the line.

Because you are experiencing a hum, I'm leaning towards a bad cable, i.e. the shielding is broken somewhere.

However, you would need to check your audio source as well, to make sure that it is behaving properly.

For example, if you have a lead plugged into a 2i2 input, it may be the source of the hum.

There is nothing in the 2i2 (or any other 'bus' powered AI) that could cause hum because they are powered from a very well regulated, quiet DC source in USB power.

I will put money on it being a faulty cable and moreover an Open Circuit 'hot' wire to pin 2. I am pretty sure the 2i2 uses 'impedance' balanced outputs and that means there is no signal on pin 3, just a resistive return. Had it been a 'proper' balanced out you would get some signal, maybe with some hum.

This thread shows once again the importance of having a test meter. I make no apology for saying..

BUY A MODEST DIGITAL MULTI-METER FFS! Cost you about a round at the Mucky Duck and since we can't go there anyway at mo' get onto Amazon and buy friggin' meter...ALL of yous!

I shall now go and look at some best buys.

"Pin 2" and "pin 3" of course refer to XLRs. The TRS connection is hot to tip and cold to ring. (only one Joe so far!)
I SHALL wake up soon. Promise! It is jeee'ust possible that the hot pin track to the 2i2 jack is O/C but very unlikely IMO.

Dave.

Back