Scarlet solo recording delay

Mrjoshua75

Experiencing latency(?)/echo/half a second delay, in recording from my scarlet to audacity for very basic voice over track. Have tweaked all pertinent knobs, please assist.

I'm not familiar with Audacity, but I think it does not use ASIO, so consequently you can't use the Focusrite drivers.

Experiencing latency(?)/echo/half a second delay, in recording from my scarlet to audacity for very basic voice over track. Have tweaked all pertinent knobs, please assist.

I would have thought the Solo had "Zero latency monitoring" i.e you hear what is 'going out' not what is coming back? However, we don't know your MO so maybe you NEED the computer return signal? If so I am going to say...

"OH Dear! WHY don't you guys ask here first?!! Soooooo often peeps buy the wrong kit. Possible solutions.

!) You need to use an 'ASIO' driver to get low latency. I am not sure F'rites do one for the Solo but even if they did, Audacity cannot use ASIO drivers!

2) Switch to a DAW that can run ASIO such as Reaper or the free Studio One.

3) Download "ASIO4ALL" Not the most brilliant solution but might just be good enough.
And best of all...
4) Buy a better interface! Like the Native Instruments KA6. Lowest latency you will get this side of RME.

Dave.

Last edited:
My 30 second foray into the Solo's control panel suggests that it relies on software to control direct monitoring. And that's going to rely on using the ASIO driver. The simple solution is to use an actual ASIO capable DAW instead of a freeware audio editor. Audacity is pretty cool, but it's not a proper multitrack recording program.

Is the 'Direct Monitoring' button enabled and are you using headphones plugged into the Solo? Windows or Mac?

Solo manual excerpt......
"Using Direct Monitoring
You will frequently hear the term “latency” used in connection with digital audio systems. In the case
of the simple DAW recording application described above, latency will be the time it takes for your
input signals to pass through your recording device (your Mac or PC) and the associated software.
Latency can be a problem for a performer who wishes to record while monitoring their input signals.
The Scarlett Solo is fitted with a “Direct Monitoring” option, which overcomes this problem. Setting
the front panel DIRECT MONITOR switch to ON will route your input signals directly to the Scarlett
Solo’s headphone and main monitor outputs. This enables you to hear yourself with zero latency –
i.e., in “real time” – along with the computer playback. The input signals to your computer are not
affected in any way by this setting.
When Direct Monitoring is set to ON, ensure that your recording software is not set to route its input
(what you are currently recording) to its output. If it is, you will hear yourself “twice”, with one signal
audibly delayed as an echo.
"

Audacity can be set to route the input to the output from what I can recall. "Software Playthrough" I think it is and should be unchecked, but try unchecking 'Overdub' also if that is selected.

Attachments

• audacity output.jpg
    audacity output.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
scarlett solo does indeed have asio drivers, go to the focusrite website, download and install them. I see other people saying your DAW doesnt even use ASIO. thats a big problem. if its a free DAW you're after, Cockos Reaper absolutely cannot be beaten. I use my scarlett solo 3rd gen with reaper with no issues what so ever.

download drivers, get reaper. ezpz fix.
Good luck :thumbs up:

scarlett solo does indeed have asio drivers, go to the focusrite website, download and install them. I see other people saying your DAW doesnt even use ASIO. thats a big problem. if its a free DAW you're after, Cockos Reaper absolutely cannot be beaten. I use my scarlett solo 3rd gen with reaper with no issues what so ever.

download drivers, get reaper. ezpz fix.
Good luck :thumbs up:

Reaper really is not free - they use the honor system, it's $60 to register it, and well worth it.

You get ProTools First with the Scarlett. There's no reason to be using Audacity for the recording process, unless you get the source code, add in the ASIO support and recompile it. Its a licensing issue. Audacity would have to pay Steinberg to include it.

Back