sample rates

JesseP

I have a Mackie Onyx 400F mic preamp/interface that im using with logic pro 8. The interface is 24-bit 192khz sample rate. Is there any reason why i would select less then 192 in the menu on logic? Is there any advantage to using a lower sample rate?

You are unlikely to get any appreciable benefit from using 192 than from using 44.1. You may as well stick with 44.1.

...Is there any advantage to using a lower sample rate?
Yes, your file size of each recorded track will be waaaay smaller. Unless you happen to have lots of huge hard drives lying around, I would seriously consider 44.1khz. And I am betting that you will hear little (if any) quality difference between them.

192 khz...........in my opinion is just crazy......

44.1 all the way out. Not to mention if you ever want your stuff on a cd thats what its more than likely going to need to be anyway. And........if you are the type of person that happens to have a 7 terabyte hardrive that will be required for the huge amount of information that will be recorded your once again gonna waste your time when you go to compress your file. Yea it will compress just fine.....but its gonna be a HUGE FILE even in the MP3 format......meaning......when you go to upload your file to internet websites.....its gonna take FOREVER....for people to listen to your stuff.....even if they have a fast connection........and the people still using dial up.....well they can just forget about it. Unless you have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of equipment you willl NEVER notice a difference between 44.1 khz and 192 khz........what you will notice is your computer lagging trying to catch its breath as it barely holds on........you will also notice that if your device is usb 2.0 or even firewire 400 your audio signal will dropout in your sequencer........you will hear pops and clicks....etc etc etc........unless of course you have a LIGHTNING FAST machine......and you are only recording a track or two at a time.

Moral of the story ALWAYS STICK WITH 44.1

dont forget that no matter how nice or how expensive your equipment is.....if there is an un-educated sound engineer operating that equipment.....then there will only be more noticeable defects.

You should breeze by ebay and check out..."HOME RECORDING FOR MUSICIANS FOR DUMMIES".......its written by jeff frost....and there is a WEALTH of information contained within it.

or at least check out http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

CHEERS!!!!!!

You should breeze by ebay and check out..."HOME RECORDING FOR MUSICIANS FOR DUMMIES".......its written by jeff frost....and there is a WEALTH of information contained within it.

i attest to this. i just finished this book a couple of weeks ago and came out of it with an abundance of information. form average joe to average joe...its a GREAT book.

Back