Sample rate differences stretch waveforms ?

timoskouros

Hello everyone I wish you to be healthy during those times and stay strong. The title is not so accurate but anyway.

I had a short discussion with someone and he told me that if I import a file thats 44.1khz in a project working at 48khz, its gonna end with the 44.1khz file to be slightly out of the metre. For example if I try to set the 44.1khz file to the right bpm to get the metronome and everything right, after 4 bars for example its gonna be slightly out of rhythm.Like half second before or after the first bar of the metre.

I had encountered this problem few times with some instrumental music from youtube but in general I wont run into this problem.

So the question is, do you have any info about this samplerate thing or some other topic that can help me dig more into it.

Im working with Reaper and recording at 48khz.The music I use for my clients its mostly from youtube and I get it at 44.1khz.

Thanks in advance.

In most cases, files of a different sample rate from the project will get resampled. Many DAWs resample the file at import and create a new file. Vegas Pro uses the original file and resamples on the fly.

In some cases files can end up flagged as the wrong sample rate. The situation I've found where this happens is with an analog-to-digital converter connected via ADAT or SPDIF that is set to a different rate than the DAW.

I just tried it with Reaper. It seems to resample on the fly.

Yeah thats right.It also puts a green flag on the top right corner saying " resampled from xxx "

But can this samplerate difference, no matter if its resampled, set the metre wrong ? If there's a kick for example at the first click of the metre, after 4 bars the same kick would be on point like 4 bars behind ?

There can be small differences in clocks between devices that can lead to drift over time. I suppose it's possible that a file with a 120 bps tempo on one system might not lock with a 120 bps project on another. Most clocks are pretty close these days, to the point that they'll be pretty solid for a five minute song.

Back