Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Is it safe to plug in a piano to my laptop?

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Pianoteq - Pianoteq 6

Download that ^ Very easy, very safe program and very nice people. What you will have there is a MIDI "engine" that will play very good piano (and other instruments now) You can use the on screen virtual kbd but with a suitable AI and DIN MIDI cables, play it from the Clavolina. The trial is free but limited but gives you a really good idea of what MIDI is about.

You see, Steenamaroo and I are really concerned that you will plump for the 2i2 when for just a little more money you could get the 214 with DIN ports (but DO bear that Tascam in mind!)
    Mr S also says he has little experience of the 2i2, neither do I but I agree they are good interfaces and Focusrite have a superb marketing machine!

The "mono/stereo thing with guitar is worth thinking through. Yes, electric guitar is (apart from very rare specials!) a single channel instrument but that does not mean it will produce a mono "effect" when recorded. No, it will come either from the left or from the right speaker (hphone) depending where you plugged it.
    "Mono" only comes from a two channel system when IDENTICAL signals are sent to both speakers, called a "phantom mono image"

I know of no interface that does that. You are stuck with a one sided recording. Some DAWs allow you to record a single channel as two mono tracks (which plays as a phantom image) but I only know of one, Samplitude. I guess you can fix it post tracking but I don't know how because I use Samplitude and don't have too! (can't play anyway).

You could use the misnamed "splitter" cable to get two TS jacks from the guitar and record both channels that way. Some recordists use the DI input and a mic on an amp and mix and match later.

Lot to think about I know but we would hate to see the ship buggered for a cent's worth of tar!

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    No, it will come either from the left or from the right speaker (hphone) depending where you plugged it.
    "Mono" only comes from a two channel system when IDENTICAL signals are sent to both speakers, called a "phantom mono image"

I know of no interface that does that. You are stuck with a one sided recording. Some DAWs allow you to record a single channel as two mono tracks (which plays as a phantom image) but I only know of one, Samplitude. I guess you can fix it post tracking but I don't know how because I use Samplitude and don't have too! (can't play anyway).

You could use the misnamed "splitter" cable to get two TS jacks from the guitar and record both channels that way. Some recordists use the DI input and a mic on an amp and mix and match later.
    Panning...? Surely every daw does this?
    There's no need for splitters when recording guitar.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Yes but the original recording is still obstinately one channel. As I say, son and I used Sam SE8 and just recorded double mono.

Dave.

Thanks
    I think it is probably a semantic thing on Dave's part more than anything else. For example, if you have a mono mixing desk, and you daisy change two speakers to its mono output, you will get a 'phantom mono image', but you haven't really created an identical signal as such. You've just sent the one signal to two destinations.

If you have a stereo mixer with a mono input, then the sending of the signal to two destinations happens inside the mixer, rather than at its outputs, and panning controls the relative levels sent to each destination.

I agree with Dave when he says "the original recording is still obstinately one channel", but I disagree that this one channel must be either left or right, and that to you consequently need to record double mono. Whether it's left or right or mono is a function of output, rather than input, because it depends on the configuration of routing once it is inside the DAW.

Thanks
    Looks like you can set your track to mono before recording, Dave.
    As far as I know that's the norm. Shouldn't need duplication tricks or splitters.

Thanks
    As far as I know that's the norm. Shouldn't need duplication tricks or splitters.
    Nope. Not needed.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Where did that MAGIX link go? Too knackered to listen last night but gone now and I wanted a harken!

I did not consider setting Samplitude to record dual mono a "trick", just something we did. I was merely pointing out that the default result of recording just one input is a single track on the left or right.

Dave.

Thanks
    Where did that MAGIX link go? Too knackered to listen last night but gone now and I wanted a harken!
    I edited it out. I realised afterwards it was for the wrong suite.
    Sorry.

I did not consider setting Samplitude to record dual mono a "trick", just something we did. I was merely pointing out that the default result of recording just one input is a single track on the left or right.

Dave.
    I understand. I'm countering because I've never known this to be true and our OP is a beginner.
    If the first lesson you learn is that a vocal or guitar recording is stuck to the left, or right, and needs to be duplicated, or recorded with splitters, to be heard out of both speakers you're not off to the easiest of starts.

Just trying to help, Dave, and keep it simple.

Thanks
    I edited it out. I realised afterwards it was for the wrong suite.
    Sorry.

I understand. I'm countering because I've never known this to be true and our OP is a beginner.
    If the first lesson you learn is that a vocal or guitar recording is stuck to the left, or right, and needs to be duplicated, or recorded with splitters, to be heard out of both speakers you're not off to the easiest of starts.

Just trying to help, Dave, and keep it simple.
    Hmm? Some sort of weirdness here. I shall have to investigate and get back to you. My aim is exactly the same. NOT to get a noob confused!

Dave.

Thread Information