room size

Merle

What is a good size of a room to record just guitar in? I record in a small bedroom about 8 x 10, and noticed that when I practice outside in bigger rooms the guitar sounds different, as expected, because of acoustics.

Is it better to record in a large room or a small room?

I know sex is good in any room, but, I am wondering about flamenco guitar recording! ;>)

Merle

To have sex with a flamenco guitar, you should be in a padded room. But for recording, a larger room sounds best (assumming the room is treated and not just one big echo).

Hey, Track Rat, thanks for the reply! For your information, everytime I play flamenco guitar, I'm having sex!! That's just a normal thing for a musician, at least I thought it was!! (well, I don't know about punk rock)... ;>)

Anyway, what do you mean a "treated room"? Please don't tell me that I now have to sound proof my living room to get a good sound! When I do practice in my large living room, I don't seem to hear any echo...

Merle

No not sound proofed or anything like that. Just a large room with good natural decay in it as opposed to something like a gymnasium.

There really is no correct answer for that. It just depends on the sound you want. For classical I would think bigger is better for that Hall type of a sound. BUT if you are going to be adding reverb for that you will want as little natural room sound as possible. I find that my living room with carpeting, drapes and furniture is the most dead sounding room in my house. If I want a live sounding room I can use the kitchen or bathroom.

Do some test recordings in different parts of the house and see what you like. Even changing the position in the room can make a big difference with some mics.

Its not the size of your room that matters, its how you use it...

Seriously, though- the best room for recording guitar is the room that you can get the best recorded sound in. My guitar sounds gorgeous in my big living room with hardwood floors, but I can't get that sound on tape to save my life. Besides, when I try to capture that luscious room sound I get all the traffic noise that my ears tune out much better than the mics do. :(

So I head back to my 10 X 12 beadroom with cardboard and blankets on the walls, rug on the floor and close mic the guitar. Sounds GREAT! Well, great compared to the gunk I get in the other room.

Since I don't have the time or the money to treat my apartment to make it acoustically sound- I have to make do with what I've got. :)

Take care,
Chris

SPINSTERWUN, thanks much for the link! There is a ton of good info on that site!

I will read through it and see what I can find out about this bidness of recording...

Merle

Back