Rode Podcaster Pro

Kyle1974

Hi

Hoping someone here can answer some questions if they have the same device? I am loving it but a few bits are confusing to me?

1. Is it possible to ever record in MP3 as the files are massively large for me to edit?
  2. Is there a way of not recording the USB/Channel 3/Channel 4 as I would never use those and it might make the file smaller?
  3. When switching between the output level on a mic, it only goes up to 20, and the default was 18? Can I increase past 20 or will it distort?
  4. I have watched the Rode videos but I am bit confused about the post fader, should I have that enabled?
  5. Sometimes when I am recording, the mic input icon at the bottom turns red but it doesn’t sound like it is peaking?
  6. Also my main sound level bar for a mic stays fairly high, no matter where the fader is? Also I would have thought that the bar would go green, occasionally yellow and red when peaking? But I don’t get these colour bars? Just green?

Sorry for all the questions! Hoping someone will know at least one answer!
Thank you in advance!

Kyle

I'll take number 1. for 200, Alex.. ('cause I don't know the rest)

You can record direct to your DAW, then easily edit there before rendering to mp3.

Or, after recording to SD, export to DAW, then above procedure.

Last edited:
I was surprised that the documentation is pitifully weak on the Podcaster Pro. The only thing that I saw an answer for was that the system records at 24bit/48K wave files. There are no options to record MP3 directly on the SD card.

I'm guessing that there is a combination of auto-level and compression that is keeping the main levels from going into red. It contains a number of different add-ons, compression, de-essing, noise gates, and the Aphex Aural Exciter and Big Bottom. If you have auto level set, I'm guessing that it will only flick into the red momentarily and then reduce the volume.

Like I said, the documentation is pretty weak.

I'll take number 1. for 200, Alex.. ('cause I don't know the rest)

You can record direct to your DAW, then easily edit there before rendering to mp3.

Or, after recording to SD, export to DAW, then above procedure.
Thank you - it's odd, I have a decent PC from this year which is like a high ending gaming machine but 5 mins to import four 4gb files each for editing is mental!

I was surprised that the documentation is pitifully weak on the Podcaster Pro. The only thing that I saw an answer for was that the system records at 24bit/48K wave files. There are no options to record MP3 directly on the SD card.

I'm guessing that there is a combination of auto-level and compression that is keeping the main levels from going into red. It contains a number of different add-ons, compression, de-essing, noise gates, and the Aphex Aural Exciter and Big Bottom. If you have auto level set, I'm guessing that it will only flick into the red momentarily and then reduce the volume.

Like I said, the documentation is pretty weak.

Yeh, I thought that was weird. I thought I was missing something or there was a manual I had to download or something, maybe even a forum I could ask on but no...

I found an online calculator and 4Gb is like 8 hours (mono) 48k/24-bit. Maybe hit stop/start once in a while?!

You should only record a single track, mono track. Just specify Input 1 in the record track of what ever software you are using and record only that.

As mentioned, you can record direct into your DAW so what is the import step??

I found an online calculator and 4Gb is like 8 hours (mono) 48k/24-bit. Maybe hit stop/start once in a while?!

You should only record a single track, mono track. Just specify Input 1 in the record track of what ever software you are using and record only that.

As mentioned, you can record direct into your DAW so what is the import step??

Thanks Keith - I think the Rode records all tracks on the microSD if you have multitrack switched on, in WAV, so even if I don't use say, 6 of inputs it will still record them separately for editing later? The show length is only ever two hours. My work around was to record on the PC (full mix) and then go back to the SD recording if I wanted to isolate a clean bit of audio.

Thanks Keith - I think the Rode records all tracks on the microSD if you have multitrack switched on, in WAV, so even if I don't use say, 6 of inputs it will still record them separately for editing later? The show length is only ever two hours. My work around was to record on the PC (full mix) and then go back to the SD recording if I wanted to isolate a clean bit of audio.
Oh. I suppose that if it is writing a polywave file with 6 tracks (first 2 are the stereo mix?), it gets pretty big.

You can, based only on reviewing some of RODE's videos, also record to your PC in multi-track mode (requires a certain firmware version). Then you would have to actually set up the DAW with those tracks you want to record. From what I saw you have a choice of Podcaster devices on the computer - one provides just the stereo mix, and another is the multi-track device that appears more like an audio interface with about a dozen input channels to choose from.

Not sure about your level questions, but if it's acting as both a mixer and recording interface, generally the gain setting is what determines the level for recording, while the fader controls what goes into the stereo mix, but will not affect the recording. That's probably the pre/post-fader confusion, but, again, I've not actually used one of these things.

I would check Curtis Judd's videos to see if he's done any updates from the early one he did in Feb. 2019, or maybe check his Learn Light and Sound channel's weekly Q&A recordings - I see the recent one lists this device as a topic discussed.

Oh. I suppose that if it is writing a polywave file with 6 tracks (first 2 are the stereo mix?), it gets pretty big.

You can, based only on reviewing some of RODE's videos, also record to your PC in multi-track mode (requires a certain firmware version). Then you would have to actually set up the DAW with those tracks you want to record. From what I saw you have a choice of Podcaster devices on the computer - one provides just the stereo mix, and another is the multi-track device that appears more like an audio interface with about a dozen input channels to choose from.

Not sure about your level questions, but if it's acting as both a mixer and recording interface, generally the gain setting is what determines the level for recording, while the fader controls what goes into the stereo mix, but will not affect the recording. That's probably the pre/post-fader confusion, but, again, I've not actually used one of these things.

I would check Curtis Judd's videos to see if he's done any updates from the early one he did in Feb. 2019, or maybe check his Learn Light and Sound channel's weekly Q&A recordings - I see the recent one lists this device as a topic discussed.

Ah thank you - that makes sense. Someone else who gave me some advice was saying the only stereo thing to go to the PC were the pads. My mics are mono feeds out of it. I have a macbook and windows and my linux setup which is what I use most. I did see that I can set up the Rode to play nicely with Garageband. I think I get the pre/post fader thing now, I was thinking that the faders were controlling the input to the mic (and thus on to the microSD raw recording).

Thanks for the heads up on the Learn Light and Sound Q&A, I will go have a look now!

I'm just going to send it back and buy a regular mixer. this is not doing what I bought it for. THank you for the help though.

Back