RODE NT1A w/ 48 v PP not recording w/ audacity- help?

christinag

Hi! I'm trying to set up my Rode NT1A to record with audacity.

PHANTOM POWER 48V ---> plugged into LAPTOP through usb port
PHANTOM POWER 48V ----> plugged into Rode NT1A mic through XLR cable

I've already closed and reopened audacity. Do I need an audio interface like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to get my mic to work?

Thank you for any advice.

48947253_2237642646506717_6108734699520131072_n.jpg49069703_957379551133681_9031491697141350400_n.jpg49098685_353072788838436_2911746337856815104_n.jpg

If the USB "thing" a balanced mic preamp to USB A/D converter it should work but maybe not to the best quality that microphone is capable of.
If not, no it won't work so WTF is it?

An interface is the way to go. Why did you get the 48V supply? That is 1/3rd of the way to the cost of an AI. Now, SHOULD you be considering same, what is your intended purpose? If just speech for podcasting*, get a bog cheap, single input unit. If you intend to sing and make music tracks, get a 2 mic input AI, 2i4 or UR22 to name but two.

*Or, if a rather more serious, podding regime, look at some of the specialized mixer type devices.

Dave.

I'm looking to do voice acting, maybe podcast stuff in the future. I've been very confused trying to figure out what I need, so that's why I got the 48V haha. So the Scarlett 2i2 can replace the 48v as an upgrade basically?

It looks like your device is a 48V power supply and that's all.
It has mic in, mic out, and USB (for power source), but doesn't affect or amplify the audio signal.

It expects you to have a microphone preamplifier and a means of digitising that which, technically, your laptop probably has (via 3.5mm socket)
but that's not really a great way to go for a few reasons.

If you're definitely always going to be solo I'd look at a decent USB microphone.
If you might want additional inputs for other voices/microphones, external music sources etc, look at all-in-one audio interfaces.
Google '2 channel usb audio interface' and have a look...Focusrite 2i2, Behringer UMC/Uphoria, preosnus audiobox etc. These are all examples.

Any of these devices will combine 48V power supply, microphone preamplifier, and analog to digital conversion.
Mic in - Usb out. done. :)

Sorry Steen' mate but I have to disagree. A USB mic is a very inflexible beast and most are 16 bit and thus likely noisier than the NT1A into a 1/2 decent interface. Then, OP already HAS the NT!

And once again, thought is conecentrated on Signal In. Not a bit of good to anyone unless you have a decent, controllable means of hearing your efforts. Yes, good headphones will do at a pinch and for a time but even cans need a good driving amp and most laptops are found wanting.

Quite frankly, spend about the same on an AI as the Rode and get something fairly flexible.

Dave.

It's an option to consider, that's all.
Plenty of people podcast with a Usb mic, and plenty of them have headphone outputs.

In the OPs shoes I probably would pick up an AI to go with the existing mic but, as I say, USB mic is an option.

You could of course start with the cheapest most basic of equipment. But your options for work will be very very limited and not the best paid.......if you manage any payment at all. There are thousands out there.

A Rode NT1A (if it suits your voice) and an interface possibly a Scarlett is a start.

The NT1A is not really a podcast microphone. You also need the pop filter and cage for the microphone. You do not hand held microphones for voice work or podcasts.

You will need some kind of microphone stand.

For podcasts you may need a DBX channel strip for live voice management and possibly recording.

You may also need a quality mixer.

A good set of closed back earphones for voice acting and podcasts.

A decent pair of studio monitors for playback.

Possibly replace Audacity with something better........Reaper??

You will need extra monitor screens powered by your pc for your script and live monitoring. Because you need zero noise from pc or rustling papers.

A pc which can handle your DAW, interface and possible the extra monitor screens.

Then or the first thing would be your treated sound room/booth/studio.

Last edited:
Back