Rhythm/Groove Simple Question

Slinky3

I have a couple simple questions.
I know music theory pretty well. I am just having a problem with rhythm/groove of a song as a whole. I cannot get a grasp on it.

1. Well how does one create a groove/rhythm? I know that is a vague question, but is there system or way to help one out in the creation process?

2. say for a typical rock band (bass, drums, rhythm guitar, lead singer) usually the bass, drums, and rhythm guitar usually play the rhythm. But do the all play the same rhythm?? each handles a part of the rhythm?? some play off the rhythm?? or how does that usually go most of the time??

3. Does the rhythm of the melody/lead/vocal have to match up with the rhythm of the groove/rhythm instruments?? or how do those two relate (melody and the rhythm section of a song) (not harmonically but rhythmically)??

Thanks everyone.

You should start by listening to some records with basic rhythms! Try something like ACDC or some punk bands like The Ramones, bands with very basic rhythm and melody combinations.

Once you have the record on, listen carefully to how the bass guitar and drums play around each other. Often, you'll find that the bass guitar player syncs his notes with the drummers kick drum.

There isn't really a right or wrong answer for this, but a lot of simple rock and pop music the rhythm/grooves are the same.

Just listen!

You can answer all these questions yourself by listening to the songs you usually listen to. Except don't listen for enjoyment, disect what you're hearing. What is the drums doing? The bass? The rhythm guitar? How do they work together? On what beat of the measure are they accenting??

You'll find every song is different and there's no one answer.

Back