restoring old record tape record with dying batteries

deodorel

Hello everyone!
I have an old record, recorded on a tape recorder. At a certain point, the batteries begun to die, so the record begins to have a higher and higher pitch. I tried fixing it with some some software a few years a go, but the problem is that the pitch changes, so i could not properly fix it for the whole bad area, and i put the project on hold at the time. However, the developer in me tells me that the pitch changes linearly so i should be able to fix the record if i had so programming language to work with. Do you know any software that would allow me to do this? Thanks!

If it's a straight forward linear change, I could do this for you.
I don't imagine it is, but I might be able to do something anyway.

Can you make the file available to me?

Yes i could, the thing is that, 10 years a go (yes i just looked at the timestamps) i separated the records in multiple files while trying to find sections with similar pitch. I will upload them somewhere, but i would really love to know how you did it, if you manage something :).
I allways hoped that something like avisynth exists for audio processing.
I'll be back with a PM with the files. Thanks!

I have a plugin right here which applies a gradual slow down or speed up to a waveform, but it doesn't seem to have any customisable parameters. It seems to be for dramatic effect rather than restoration.
Still, I might be able to work something with it.
I know I can slow down/speed up (+pitch) audio with PT elastic audio, but I'm not sure how you would do it gradually.
Still, I'd be interested to try.

Thanks for the tip, i will look at the demo version, but i don't think i'm willing to shell 3k for restoring some tapes from my youth :)

The current version of Audacity has a sliding time scale/pitch shift function, presumably for such an occasion. And it's free... :)

Since it's an audio editor, it's handy for these kinds of situations.

If you have a pal with resto skills (like Steenamaroo), then by all means let him have a go.

The current version of Audacity has a sliding time scale/pitch shift function, presumably for such an occasion. And it's free... :)

Since it's an audio editor, it's handy for these kinds of situations.

If you have a pal with resto skills (like Steenamaroo), then by all means let him have a go.

Edit.
I see the tool in audacity. That's similar to the one in PT. Start point speed + end point speed....linear transition applied.

I'll give it a blast but it aint easy with the foreign voice/language. :p

Reaper does this, too. Kinda right on the timeline.

Be aware that you will also be shifting the cutoff at the top end. This might not be a big deal if you're not going very far, but if you pitch it down an octave, you'll hear the difference.

Reaper does this, too. Kinda right on the timeline.

That sounds like the ticket. I'm not having much success here at all. Anyone prepared to take a look in reaper.
OP, do you mind if I make the files publicly available, or would you do it? I won't without your consent.

Back