"Regular computer sounds" in a DAW

All those Windows alerts and internet stuff: does it get handled by your audio interface, and play out your DAW speakers? If so, you don't need speakers built into your video monitors, eh?

Thanks

Quite right, but my question isn't primarily about that, it's about the production of sounds by the computer, which are 'normal' computer sounds, not from DAW production.

i have never had any computer alert sound play out through my interfaces or be picked up by the DAW. whether its possible for this to happen under other circumstances with different drivers and hardware is a question i can't answer. fwiw i've never heard of it happening.

I believe the "normal" computer sounds to which you refer are what are more often called "system sounds."

They'll play out of whatever device you tell them to play out of when you set the Sounds and Audio Devices properties, which you can get at through the Control Panel (or various other ways).

Ideally, they won't play at all, because you'll turn them off when you're using your computer as a DAW.

As sjjohnston says, yep, system sounds will play through your interface. You don't need speakers in your video monitors.

As c7sus says, you're better off without them.

I believe the "normal" computer sounds to which you refer are what are more often called "system sounds."

They'll play out of whatever device you tell them to play out of when you set the Sounds and Audio Devices properties, which you can get at through the Control Panel (or various other ways).

Ideally, they won't play at all, because you'll turn them off when you're using your computer as a DAW.

Thank you.

Back