Are Reel to Reels hard to repair?

Are they easy to repair and are they more durable than tape decks?
I want to record retro like all the coolcats do, but it's pricey and giving my circumstances not sure if they are worth it because I sunk enough into this 688.

I might get the model 12 eventually once I get my finances back in order.

the city I live in isn't anything special so not many tape users that I know of.

Mechanics are ALWAYS easier as things get bigger, although the size of tools often has to increase too. You can get stumpy fingers inside a reel to reel yet the same mechanism scaled down in a cassette machine is difficult. Electronics were relatively fixed in size, then they invented SMDs and everything shrunk, but fixing them is a whole new technical process and involves more complex kit. Personally, fixing a reel to reel involves skills more akin to fixing a car rather than fixing a watch.

Yes, they are all hard to repair!
Think long and hard before putting any significant cash into R2R. Not only is the mechanical side tricky but you need to invest in some tools. For the mechanics force gauges to set brake and pinch roller tensions, a head de-fluxer (and the knowhow to use one!)
A TEST TAPE FCS!

For the electronics you need at least a good decibel scaled milli volt meter (FSD 1mV) and an audio signal generator. A distortion meter* is also really need though I guess you could manage without.

*Actually you can make one of those and in fact a good test of the skills you will need would be to see if you can do that? The simple 'bootstrapped' parallel T filter around an op amp can be used in conjunction with a good mV meter. If that build is beyond you, stick to 'puters and tape emulation software. You will not get so poor.

Dave.

Back