Recording volume is incredible low

JasonSoundsOkay

I've started doing some home recording for some youtube dairy vidoes I'm making.

I bought a dynamic Behringer XM8500 mic as I've read its like the SM58 but cheap, I know its not a condensor mic but all the reviews I watched suggest it would work for what I need (Talking into my microphone while recording my screen).

I've connected that to Input one of the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD using a TRS cable (not TR 1/4 guitar cable). Set to line, phantom power on and gain all the way up.

This plugs into my computer via USB.

Problem is, when I record in Audacity the volume is very low, it barely makes the lines wobble. I've tried to boost it but that produces too much noise.

Have I completley misunderstood something?

Thanks, Jason.

Make sure you don't have th e'pad' button pushed in. But I suspect its because you are using a TRS cable which bypasses the mic preamp and defaults to instrument/line. Try an XLR-XLR cable.

- The Behringer XM8500 is a dynamic mic. You don't need the Phantom power on.
- As Mike stated you need to use a XLR to XLR cable. The 'Line' input does not have as much gain as does the XLR 'MIC' input, thus the reason for the low signal in Audacity. The input jacks are 'Combo' jacks which accept both XLR and 1/4" TS instrument cable plugs or 1/4" 'balanced' TRS plugs.

The specification for that mic reads such that either Behringer are lying ******s or somebody made big cockup.
The puff reads "extremely high output" and yet the sensitivity figure is quoted as -70dBV. Now one of the LEAST sensitive (but great!) microphones on the market is the Shure SM7b but that is THREE times hotter than the Berry at around -60dBV.

Now, I in fact doubt the mic IS as puny as that but I am going to buy one and see*. The UMC202 has been reported on several times and once the correct cable is used I am sure it will be fine but, you will need to suck it! Well, almost.

*I am in the market for bog cheap mics to put in my garden.

Dave.

I've got three unused on the shelf - been there three years. They are disposable mics, where they're going to be abused, or left in the rain or quality isn't an issue.
They're just a cheap dynamic with a warm sound - as in dull. When you use them in close, the bass boost overpowers everything. they're not awful, or terrible - they do an oK job, but they just sound dull, and have above average handling due to the quite stiff capsule mounting.

I've got three unused on the shelf - been there three years. They are disposable mics, where they're going to be abused, or left in the rain or quality isn't an issue.
They're just a cheap dynamic with a warm sound - as in dull. When you use them in close, the bass boost overpowers everything. they're not awful, or terrible - they do an oK job, but they just sound dull, and have above average handling due to the quite stiff capsule mounting.

****! Me Rob, ordered one just a couple of hours ago! I have two 20 quid Maplin jobbies out there wrapped in cling film and foam to keep off rain and wind noise. They are still going after a year but won't much longer I fear. If you want to dispose of a pair of yours give me a price?

Now, bit mad this but! I am considering a pair of £70 Rycote wind shields? The truncated conical ones. Anyone had any experience of same? The mics feed a Behringer Xenyx 802 with the bass rolled right off and some mid and treble boost. think I have posted sounds in the past but will see if I can find something representative. I DO have a sonic boom in the can! Yes, I know, illegal especially this far in land but the buggers did one!

Dave.

I bought the three-pack because it is handy to have something like them around when people are in karaoke or sing-along mode.

Back