Recording too loud?

robertd13

Not sure where to post this. I'm recording screaming vocals at home with a condenser mic, haven't had any problems before. Usually have the gain turned down on my audio interface. Opened reaper today and went to record and the audio is extremely loud and abrasive. Didn't change anything on my interface or setup. Tried resetting reaper to factory default and its still insanely loud. Did I break something? Again, sorry for posting this in the wrong section.

Not sure where to post this. I'm recording screaming vocals at home with a condenser mic, haven't had any problems before. Usually have the gain turned down on my audio interface. Opened reaper today and went to record and the audio is extremely loud and abrasive. Didn't change anything on my interface or setup. Tried resetting reaper to factory default and its still insanely loud. Did I break something? Again, sorry for posting this in the wrong section.

Nope, post One, Noob section is the very chap. Some more data needed. Mac? If PC are you sure you are using ASIO drivers? What is the rest of the gear chain?

Dave.

Is this a track that sounded ok before or a new one? Des the waveform look appreciably bigger? Have you opened an older project to see if the same thing occurs on it?

Is this a track that sounded ok before or a new one? Des the waveform look appreciably bigger? Have you opened an older project to see if the same thing occurs on it?

Using Reaper on a PC. Not sure about drivers, I'm using a Behringer audio interface. This is a new track and yes the waveform appears bigger than I'm used to seeing. The tracks sound more gainy than I used to get as well, even though I have the audio interface gain all the way down.

EDIT: just opened an old project and recording a new track on it does the same thing. The older tracks in the project are still fine.

Last edited:
Using Reaper on a PC. Not sure about drivers, I'm using a Behringer audio interface. This is a new track and yes the waveform appears bigger than I'm used to seeing. The tracks sound more gainy than I used to get as well, even though I have the audio interface gain all the way down.

EDIT: just opened an old project and recording a new track on it does the same thing. The older tracks in the project are still fine.

Which interface? Is the clip/peak indicator going red when you sing into the mic?

Has the interface got its own mixer or settings window? It may have a +10 or something on the input. My Old Presonus interface has this on the Setup window.

Alan.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver’s, with the gain turned all the way down, phantom power on, no cloudlifter, you shouldn’t be getting any kind of hot signal. Redo the drivers, unplug the interface, check USB cable. If that doesn’t work you might have an issue with the physical part of the interface.

I strongly suspect that there are no ASIO drivers and the recording gain has shot back to 100% under the dead hand of a Windows update or glitch. Gimme a minute and I shall find a screen grab...

Dave.

Attached. If I am right that record level needs to be about Five %.

OOOPS! Yes that IS the play level. Same idea, just hit the Record tit.

Dave.

Attachments

• 202 play level.png
    202 play level.png
    243.2 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for all the help guys. I've kind of fixed the problem by lowering the volume of the microphone in the windows sound settings, not sure what it was at when it was all fine before, but I can make it no longer clipping and abrasive. No idea why this happened though, I've never had to touch these settings before. It was all fine when I first started using this interface, not sure what could have happened. Any thoughts? Thanks again for all the help, everyone.

Back