Recording solo acoustic guitar - to be played as backing track?

TooSteep

Hi all:

I am just a guitar player. Total, total newb on recording.

I wonder what is the minimum gear/software I need to get to be able to record solo acoustic steel-string guitar (1 or 2 tracks, layered - just 1 track at a time) at a quality level high enough that I could take the recording and play it back over a live sound system as a backing track to live playing?

I'd love the whole setup and software to be dead easy to setup and use, as I'd like to focus much more on the playing than the recording. But I do need the sound quality to be very good if this is going to be useful.

I have a recent-vintage desktop computer (Core2Duo e7300, XP, 2 GB RAM), my guitar and nothing else. I don't mind if the microphone and other gear are suited just for acoustic guitar, as that is all I will use them for.

Thanks a lot.

You need a simple audio interface (100 quid) a microphone (cheapest is 70 up to 300)

Your PC is a good enough spec to deal with it.

Overall your looking at about 200 quid (400 dollars) I would say for a cheap setup. Does you guitar have an internal mic/pick-up?

Google lexicon alpha/omega, m audio USB interface and presonus interface's

..I'd love the whole setup and software to be dead easy to setup and use, as I'd like to focus much more on the playing than the recording. But I do need the sound quality to be very good if this is going to be useful.
Based on that perhaps one of the combo' box recorders? The whole PC-DAW thing is more flexible' etc (except for portability) but much higher in setup, config, and learning curves.

more info ...

more info:

* right now, I have no pickup or electronics on the guitar.

* actually, I do also have a Boss Micro BR portable recorder. I have tried it, but been unable to get useful sound quality (I'm sure that could be driver error - but it always sounds thin and echoey).

Thanks for the ideas. Any guitar specific microphones out there? What is the simplest software for just dealing with 1 instrument and maybe mixing 2 tracks?

Thanks.

Waffleness's advice seems reasonable to me.

Couple with some downloadable software and you'll be off and running.

Reaper is a good way to go:free to trial (no limitations on the program) and cheap to buy later i fyou like it.

Also, you often get audio programs bundled with the interface (e.g. Cubase).

* actually, I do also have a Boss Micro BR portable recorder. I have tried it, but been unable to get useful sound quality (I'm sure that could be driver error - but it always sounds thin and echoey).

It probably sounds bad for two reasons:

1. The BR uses a data compression to get more time out of the memory card so your lacking in a true full range recording.

2. your using the real bad built in mics....:(

Mic SM57/8 (Vocals and Guitar)

Sequencing/tracking go with Gecko - Reaper

I'd try to get A/D interface with XLR in (1/4' as well), stereo out and headphone with independent volume. I would be inclined to go mid range on this and perhaps get a little Mackie mixer with their sexy pre-amps.

Also been using Fishman Acoustic Imaging pedal and DI into Mackie, then A/D with good results with old Yamaha piezoelectric. Listen here for sound through Mac Garageband.

Also a decent book on home recording is essential. This is a good one and here as well

I'd try to get A/D interface with XLR in (1/4' as well), stereo out and headphone with independent volume. I would be inclined to go mid range on this and perhaps get a little Mackie mixer with their sexy pre-amps.

By A/D I assume he means a Audio interface.

Skip the mixer and go with a USB or Firewire(Assuming you have a firewire port) audio interface.

And also do you self a favor and buy a Condenser mic over the SM-57/58 mic's.

They are getting more inexpensive and of better quality all the time.

Reaper is a decent way to go for recording software, But if you do use it a lot consider paying the $50 for the full unlock.

Here's a list I gave someone the other day for a similar setup:

Audio Interface like this one

A mic like this one

Use Reaper and add a mic stand and a good cable(Seriously buy a decent cable it does make a difference in sound no mater what nay sayers say).

All probably under $300-350...:D

That's my opinion.

Back