recording practice tapes

sathyan

My bandmates and I unfortunately have busy schedules in activities other than music so we don't get to practice enough. We'd like to tape record the practice sessions we do so each can practice individually.

At this point we have very little equipment so will need recommendations (NOTE this is NOT for producing a demo; we will go to a studio for that)

genres played are all over the place: 70's rock, 20th c. concerti, jazz fusion a la Jean-Luc Ponty, 50's blues

here is the instrumentation:
lead vocal (tenor)
backup vocal (baritone)
viola (acoustic)
elect. bass
MIDI keyboard
rock drum set

Equipment:

A. Microphones for vocals

Shure SM58. Is that OK any other suggestions at $100

B. viola microphone (this is where the melody line is)

Recommended microphone at $50, $100, and $200 price points?

C. drum microphone

Any ideas?

D. direct box or bass microphone

Which do you recommend? Or can a bass just be plugged into the 1/4" line input. If DI, How is the $30 Behringer box?

Does anyone know the frequency range of an electric bass?

E. mixer

I'm thinking of getting the Yamaha MG10/2 which is a 10-channel mixer that outputs stereo mixdown. (We have a good stereo tape deck to record to.) This mixer is $100 which is the most we could spend in this area.

F. monitoring

For the proposed application, how important is monitoring?

If a bass is plugged in to DI, does the player need a monitor to hear it?

Can I just hook up to my home stereo? How about using headphones? Most mixers only have 1 headphone output how could I connect three people to it.

G. cables

Does it make a difference? Any recommendations?

H. tapes

what type/brand of stereo cassette tapes do you recommend?

a good mic for viola is a AKG c1000b they run about $200.

The sm58 will work just fine for the vocals.

For the direct box, anyone with a Ground lift, around 30-40 bucks will be ok.

The freq. of a bass can run down to around 35hz or so, but i'm not 100% postive on that.

zeke

Back