Recording guitar at home with IR's

SlushPuppy

Hey there

I’m back in the home recording game during lockdown, and a lot has changed since I last recorded my band in 2011! Specifically IR’s…

Basically I’m seeking some advice on recording guitars from my audio interface into Reaper, and there are so many options out there. I’m new to IR’s, and have NADIR (from STL Tones/Ignite Amps) and their stock IR’s courtesy of Emissary… and not much else. I also took advantage of the Torpedo Wall of Sound free lifetime license a short while back, and really like their interface and stock cabs/mics etc. Am even thinking of buying some of their cabs as they sound great.

So, I have a few options. And need some advice from you pro’s out there ?

1) Preamp VSTs. I have free versions of NI Guitar Rig (bigger bundle than the stock, as I have a Komplete 6 MK1 audio interface I purchased in 2012 with software bundle – so have more preamps than just the Jump model etc), Amplitube 4, and Ignite Amps Anvil/NRR-1/Emissary etc. I like the preamp sounds of some of the Guitar Rig stuff and it’s a nice and easy interface, but the Ignite preamps sound great combined with IR’s. I’ve also tried disabling the cabs on Guitar Rig and using TWOS IR’s, but I think the Ignite Amp preamp tones come out on top. Any advice/user experience? Despite Amplitube 4 being one of the first guitar VST’s I used 10 years ago, I have a preference with Guitar Rig as I have more amps and effects to use (without having to buy the pro versions).

2) I also have a POD 2.0 as was thinking about disabling the cab simulation, recording into audio interface, and use IR’s instead. There’s some cool YouTube videos of people doing the same with some great results. Plus you get real knobs you can play with! Downside is you are committing your preamp sound to track so less tweaking post record.

3) My Blackstar HT-5 combo amp (MK1) from 2009. The emulated output sounds pants, but was wondering if there is any way I can disable the power amp and connect straight from the preamp to audio interface and then use IR cab sims? Not sure how to do this or even if its possible.

4) Any advice on free IR’s out there to combine with NADIR/TWOS?

Alternatively, any other advice for home recording guitars in a small flat/apartment. Micing is not an option for me unfortunately without blowing my walls and windows off!

I want to test drive the VST guitar preamp/POD 2.0 preamp/HT-5 preamps alongside some IR’s to and see how they compare. But having a better understanding of the latter from you guys will hopefully help me create some killer tones! I play loads of different styles - grunge/metal/indie/punk/garage rock/blues. The Ignite preamp stuff appears to be more geared towards Metal players (unless you use the clean or rhythm channels and use guitar pedals) whereas Guitar Rig has a plexi, jcm800, vox ac30, fender deluxe reverb etc. which is a better representation of how I used to record in my Mums' garage with a Fender Deville and a Marshall AVT150 with an SM57! But those days are long gone : (

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Can't help you with the IR stuff but I know the HT-5 well!

You can 'kill' the power amp by putting a dummy plug in the headphone jack then use the FX send jack to get a raw, i.e. pre-emulated, pre amp signal out.
Note you have two send levels. +4dBu or -10 dBV (around 300mV) that can go into any of the KA6 (got one) line inputs. If going into 3 or 4 you will need 'studio' OP level of +4dBu.

Dave.

Can't help you with the IR stuff but I know the HT-5 well!

You can 'kill' the power amp by putting a dummy plug in the headphone jack then use the FX send jack to get a raw, i.e. pre-emulated, pre amp signal out.
Note you have two send levels. +4dBu or -10 dBV (around 300mV) that can go into any of the KA6 (got one) line inputs. If going into 3 or 4 you will need 'studio' OP level of +4dBu.

Dave.

Thanks Dave - will give this a try! I'd been Googling how to disable the power amp but could only find reference to disabling the pre-amp, which I'd been reading up about to use the POD 2.0 into the HT-5 and using the red kidney bean as the preamp/amp model/eq etc instead of the Blackstar HT-5. While we are on the subject, I guess this is just the reverse - e.g. connect the line out of the POD into the effect return of the HT-5?

Am having to ask these questions as don't want to blow up my amp!

Thanks Dave - will give this a try! I'd been Googling how to disable the power amp but could only find reference to disabling the pre-amp, which I'd been reading up about to use the POD 2.0 into the HT-5 and using the red kidney bean as the preamp/amp model/eq etc instead of the Blackstar HT-5. While we are on the subject, I guess this is just the reverse - e.g. connect the line out of the POD into the effect return of the HT-5?

Am having to ask these questions as don't want to blow up my amp!

Yes, you can feed pretty much what you like into the FX return, the same level shift applies.

You will not 'blow up' an HT-5! Some (including me!) have tried. One thing though, don't try swapping the valves for different types, that is, use a 12AX7 or exact eqiv, ECC83, 7025 and same for the 12BH7. Other types could burn out components. I would also suggest you don't waste money on 'NOS' 'Cryo' or other expensive 'booteek' valves. The way they are used means such things have little or no effect.

Dave.

You will not 'blow up' an HT-5! Some (including me!) have tried. One thing though, don't try swapping the valves for different types, that is, use a 12AX7 or exact eqiv, ECC83, 7025 and same for the 12BH7. Other types could burn out components. I would also suggest you don't waste money on 'NOS' 'Cryo' or other expensive 'booteek' valves. The way they are used means such things have little or no effect.

Dave.

I like the sound of the HT-5 so no plans on chaging any valves. Am just looking forward to seeing how the raw pre-amp may sound with some IR's. Am even tempted to get my 60w Fender Deville 212 out and run that through in same fashion - assume same rules apply for bypassing the power amp stage - but it doesnt have emulated/line out so no need for dummy plug?

I like the sound of the HT-5 so no plans on chaging any valves. Am just looking forward to seeing how the raw pre-amp may sound with some IR's. Am even tempted to get my 60w Fender Deville 212 out and run that through in same fashion - assume same rules apply for bypassing the power amp stage - but it doesnt have emulated/line out so no need for dummy plug?

I am not familiar with the F de ville but will look for a schematic. I assume it has FX send and return jacks? So yes, come out of the send sckt. The Fender will not have the drive to the PA gate as in the Five so just keep the master volume at zero.

Right, so the Fender does have a 'Pre amp Out' jack so that will do ya'. Note, the level specified in the schematic is much lower even than the nominal, -10dBV level for the Five, only 85mV or around -40dBV so you might struggle a bit for level?
Dave.

I am not familiar with the F de ville but will look for a schematic. I assume it has FX send and return jacks? So yes, come out of the send sckt. The Fender will not have the drive to the PA gate as in the Five so just keep the master volume at zero.

Right, so the Fender does have a 'Pre amp Out' jack so that will do ya'. Note, the level specified in the schematic is much lower even than the nominal, -10dBV level for the Five, only 85mV or around -40dBV so you might struggle a bit for level?
Dave.

Thanks again, Dave. I'm aiming to try out the HT-5 preamp > audio interface this weekend. I played about with the Pod 2.0 preamps (disabling the cab/mic sims) this evening with TNWOS IR's (the Brit VintC, which is modelled after Slash's signature cab from 1996) and got some pretty cool results, especially when paired with the JCM800 (Brit Hi Gain on the POD 2.0). Classic GnR tone! I think with some different mic blends and EQ tweaks I could get some pretty killer tones. And I haven't even explored other IR's yet or tried using some of my physical guitar pedals in front.

I downloaded some IR packs from Seacow which I'd heard some positive things about and there are tonnes to choose from! Guitar cab emulation has come a long way since I last did some recordings, however, there are so many free guitar VST, IR's, hardware pre/power amps, fractal, helix etc out there it's easy to get lost in them all and want to try out everything searching for 'the sound in your head'.

An nice tube amp and an SM57 will always be my preference. But its amazing how accurate software is becoming and if you aren't a guitarist I doubt a lot of people would even be able to tell the difference.

Back