Recording drums for Newbies

sunung1188

hey guys.

i have tried a computer based drum machine (reason 2.5) its pretty cool but i have no idea how to insert rolls that i want.

the drums sounds are cool but i cant do rolls or mesh and that kinda stuff.

so

i plan to buy a drum set with mics and Tascam pocket studio to record.

My plans are:

1 - get a cheap drumset (5 pieces) or go to a studio and use theirs
2 - get a Tascam pocket studio 5 (it has 4 tracks i think)

if i do this i can record my guitars and vocals right too right?
and transfer it to PC and put em all together via a program

help me out man..are the mics the only way i can record real drums?

so like for each mic on the drums (one for snare one for tom etc..)

each mic goes into one track on the Tascam?

Just a personal preference I suppose, but wouldn't it be so much easier and of much higher quality to record directly to your pc rather than to the TASCAM?

And if you want to record to the TASCAM because it has four tracks and you can record a different drum on each track, you could also instead buy a mixer for your pc. There are some relatively cheap ones that can get the job done.

And finally, as far as I know, no... the only way to record from a drumset is using mics. But if it's a digital or an electronic drumset, then that's a different story :D

Yeah, I agree. If you plan on buying a drumset, it would be best to just get a multi-input soundcard (either PCI or FireWire based) and just record directly to your computer.

As for how many mics, that's a judgment call. You rarely need a separate mic for each drum. Getting a few quality mics and learning to use them will generally yield better results than getting a bunch of cheap mics for each drum. Learn to mic a kit with 3-4 mics (2 overheads, 1 snare, 1 kick is a good starting place) first, and add more as needed.

..I would just learn how to do fills and "rolls" in your "evict-a-drummer" program.

I don't think you would be happy with the sound you will get from a "cheap" drumset" with "cheap" mics. Plus, it will prob. sound way different then your electronica sound.

So, save yourself some money and , try,try,and try.

seryozha said:
..I would just learn how to do fills and "rolls" in your "evict-a-drummer" program.

I don't think you would be happy with the sound you will get from a "cheap" drumset" with "cheap" mics. Plus, it will prob. sound way different then your electronica sound.

So, save yourself some money and , try,try,and try.

I agree...for what you're wanting to get you're gonna need to spend quite a bit! To truly get something you're gonna be proud and happy with you could easily be looking a a grand for a kit, cymabls and hardware (and not a great one at that!), another 500-750 for good mics, another 350-800 for an interface plus pres, cables, stands, eggnog, and all the other things you'll see and say, "OOOHH, an egg shaker! I hAVE to have one!

However, the payoff for learing and spending the money on all this stuff can be great! All that equipment will help you make MUCH better recordings, and you'll be happy with the results! If you have the Moola and the drive DO IT, but if you don't, be very, very careful!

Jacob

Back