Recording a Difficult Piano Track

ced20

Hello, I'm new to this website. I've owned an 88 key Korg Triton Workstation for years now but I still have a lot to learn about recording techniques. All of the music I have ever recorded has been directly within the sequencer of the Triton. I'm currently interested and in the process of looking for a DAW.

One of the challenges I've had with recording is making a smooth transition between a difficult piano piece with pedal on the same track after I've stopped recording. For example, say I've played half the song and stopped, then started recording again from the point I left off. It's tough to get a smooth transition between the two without hearing the break.

I don't find it a problem when I'm playing a track with one note at a time or with little pedal. Only for more difficult piano pieces with pedal and minor reverb. So my question is are there any techniques out there anyone has for this?

I love my Triton but find the track editing capabilities not as easy to work with as perhaps a DAW software to make small, quick edits at short durations.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Hi Ced,
Failed bass guitarist who can just about manage God Save on the jo about to opine!
Take a run at it? What I mean is, if you stopped at say bar 150, start again a few bars back and then see if it glues together better?

One key to seamless edits in the analogue days was consistent levels.

I take it you are recording MIDI on the PC?

Dave.

Yes, what Dave said. That's the best way to comp tracks together in a DAW with audio, not so sure about recording MIDI that way, though.

Just record on 2 separate tracks. You can then cross-fade them together, or just leave them as separate tracks in the same folder....or just leave them separate.

Parabolic fades will work better than linear (curve vs line). Do just what Dave said and then find the place where the performance best aligns. Use that for the center of the fade.

Thanks guys. I found the two tracks approach the easiest for me today.

When I tried recording a few bars ahead of where I stopped, I still found I could hear piano playing over piano. Remember, I'm not using a computer based DAW/software yet. I'm recording and editing directly from the sequencer in the Triton. There might be some options I'm not still familiar with in the Triton.

By fading in and out I'm assuming this is just gradually decreasing volume between the two separate piano takes. I think the editing will be easier once I've decided on a computer based DAW software to work with.

Back