Recording dialogue

dashoop

I'm researching the mechanics of home studios and my question is about recording actors dialogue. I'm looking for some advice on what kind of recorder to get and what medium. I don't need a recorder that has to keep sync with a camera because I will use it for radio plays. It also has to be portable so I can go out into the world to record wild sounds. All my editing will be done on computer.--I don't have all the $ in the world so any advice on an affordable recorder would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I wanted a used one, where do I go?

Well what's affordable? Both cassette-based and MD-based recorders would probably do the job for you if you had a way to get reliable power on location (batteries/inverters etc.) The MD recorders sound better but cost more.
Since you said affordable that probably rules out HD-based units.

I guess affordable to me is $400-$800 range...If I have to spend more to go digital I will do it, I would even prefer something used, but I still have no idea where to buy this stuff.....Thanks for your reply...

I use a Sony Minidisk for my business (producion of audio CD's for talk radio) I have a MDS-JE530 which is flexible. The disks are very inexpensive (about 2 bucks) and it's an established format. The quailty is very good as you can imagine. In the future you might want to consider a pc setup which will allow more editing control. There are a variety of very good home and portable units. You should also invest in a good mic (under 100.)

Geoff

[This message has been edited by geoff (edited 08-27-1999).]

[This message has been edited by geoff (edited 08-27-1999).]

Back