Recording DI with a box or through only interface?

AustinBBN7

I am a beginner when it comes to recording guitar DI. I have always used a cab and mic. With my current setup it just isn't possible. I am working on a track right now and tracking DI into a Presonus Quantum interface and the sound its ok but it just seems dull to me.
I am using the ToneForge Ben Bruce amp sim on it and the client recording is using an epiphone les paul with pro-bucker pickups.
The sound good but not great - just isn't full sounding.
Granted I have done basically no compression or EQ yet.
Would adding a DI box before going into the Quantum really make that much of a difference?

I am recording at 48Hz by the way

DAW: Logic Pro X
AMP: Ben Bruce ToneForge

Thanks in advance for any assistance

The DI input (aka, "instrument" or "Hi Z) of the vast majority of AIs is just a "flat" amplifier with very low distortion. Therefore you will get none of the pre amp, power amp or speaker character of a guitar amplifier. It is basically there to present the correct load, the "magic meg" to the guitar and grab a track.

Once grabbed you now have effectively a guitar in a bottle. You can mangle the .wav all ways up from Xmas. There is shedloads of guitar FX software and plugins to experiment with, much of it free or at least in 30 day trails.

There are other options. A power soak that takes the speaker signal and feeds you the amp's sound, still needs speaker "emulation" though some soaks/load boxes even do that as well.
Then there is "re-amping" Google dat!

Also see: "Sound on Sound Aug 2007".

Dave.

Have you really given the Logic amp sims a good workout? Played with switching cabs, mics and mic position and put it through a good room in Space Designer? I’ve always found something usable.

I do think humbuckers are harder to work with though you get less noise. You might try dialing the guitar volume back just a little to get a slightly cleaner sound and then put a drive from the Logic pedalboard in front of the “amp” to get some grit back. And play with the exciter plugin too.

I appreciate the responses guys
I have never been a big fan of Logic's amps. They are ok and I've worked with the tones a little bit but this specific guitar player is insistent on using the ToneForge Ben Bruce
We are working on dialing in a good tone for the song but it just sounds thin to me.

I guess the main question is - is it worth buying a DI box to then go to the interface? Or am I ok running just straight into the instrument input on the interface? Will it make a drastic difference in overall sound quality?

I appreciate the responses guys
I have never been a big fan of Logic's amps. They are ok and I've worked with the tones a little bit but this specific guitar player is insistent on using the ToneForge Ben Bruce
We are working on dialing in a good tone for the song but it just sounds thin to me.

I guess the main question is - is it worth buying a DI box to then go to the interface? Or am I ok running just straight into the instrument input on the interface? Will it make a drastic difference in overall sound quality?

Two basic sorts of DI box friend,..

Passive: Just a transformer that steps up the impedance of the mic input to the guitar, usually at best to no more than 220kOhms and usually less. Such a low load "can" make a pickup sound duller, lacking in the mid/highs. Passive DIs are a convenience really, not a means to a great tone.

Active DIs do at least present the guitar with the correct load but are really no more "tone shapers" than the AI DI.

There are of course pedals? You can even get them with valves in them and emulated outputs! (glance top right. Cough!)

Dave.

You should be fine going straight into the interface. To get the tones you want, you just gotta keep tweaking on the amp sim. A good amp sim is like a real amp; it can take a lot of time to dial in the tone you want. If your guitar is insistent on using that plug, does he have a preset for you to use?

Keep in mind, that a guitar tone can sound great when solo'd but may not sound good at all when mixed in with a full song.

Another thought is to double up on the guitars. Not copy n paste, but have him play the same part several times. That might thicken the tone up a bit.

Back