Recording a band Live at the local bar

lurgan liar

Jimmy Page XXVIII
Ok really there are two parts to this post...

Firstly i want to know what equipment is needed to set a band up in a small bar... For example....Speakers, Mixing desk, mics....?

I've never done anything like this before but my friend wants to set up 3 bands on Friday night ...one acoustic artist and 2 other rock bands with drum kits, electric guitars, bass and vocals....

The next question is how would i go about recording this ....i Have a Roland VS880 which i recently bought off ebay ...it can record 4 tracks simultaneously ....

run an extra line out from the desk to your 880.

... The first question is massive... what do you already know? What excact area are you unsure of?? be specific and the answers will be more concise.

If you've never done anything like this before I have a very important tip...
...GET A SOUND ENGINEER! :rolleyes:

Getting a whole band to sound great live isn't gonna happen in a week, let alone 3 bands!

yeah it took me like half a year just to figure out what most things do and how to just plug them in

the learning never ends

Doing sound at the gig

Cheers guys...i think i'll take you're advice and get a guy i know who does sound at local gigs to come along and do the Sound ....

Just as a matter of interest ....what exactly is needed to do sound .... a mixing desk??? speakers and mics....???

At a recent gig MY band did ...the sound engineer miced all of our guitar amps... and miced the drum kit .....

but this bar isn't very big so i don't think there'd be any need to mic the kit here...

Cheers for the tips :)

yeah your gonna need speakers mics and a mixer

place the mics near or towards things that need to be louder

then plug those mics into a mixer

then output from the mixer to speakers

and thats about as basic as it gets

Well, I'll describe what I would expect to need in a small club:

1. Mics for vocals and instruments (if you're miking drums...might not need to in a small bar, maybe just the kick)

2. Mixer of some kind with sufficient # of inputs.
3. Power amp for monitor speakers (usually a requirement for the band)
4. Power amp for the main speakers (sized for venue, maybe a couple of 15" 2-ways for a small bar ??)
5. Depending largely on the band, an EQ to help tame feedback and problem frequencies, and perhaps a compressor to aid in getting the vocals good and strong in the mix.

Like everyone else said, this is an expansive question, more specific questions would be better, and the requirements would change alot for diffferent types of bands.

I would only use 2 room mics or you could use 2 room mics and a sound board mix.

If it's a small club the drums might not be miced so the soundboard mix will not sound to good.

Back