Thread: Recording amp without "micing it up"

Thanks

Question Recording amp without "micing it up"

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am using a mixer, and I am currently using a VST amp to add amplify my guitar. I have a real amp that I am hoping to amplify my guitar with before sending the input to my computer. Micing my amp up is not an option for me personally. I figured out that I can plug my amp into the aux send, but I am not sure if that is what the amp should be plugged into that.

Also, I didn't do enough research for the mixer I got, I got a mixer for performing, not for recording (Alto Professional Live 1202). It is an amazing mixer, but not what I need, so can someone direct me to a mixer that isn't thousands of dollars that I can record with. I don't "need" it to have a usb interface, because I have an AI. Still learning.

I am not sure about the aux send because when I open my DAW (reaper) the amp starts making a high pitched noise, but it is still output the audio.
    Last edited by Mason Earley; 6 Days Ago at 13:38.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mason Earley View Post
    I am using a mixer, and I am currently using a VST amp to add amplify my guitar. I have a real amp that I am hoping to amplify my guitar with before sending the input to my computer. Micing my amp up is not an option for me personally. I figured out that I can plug my amp into the aux send, but I am not sure if that is what the amp should be plugged into that.

Also, I didn't do enough research for the mixer I got, I got a mixer for performing, not for recording (Alto Professional Live 1202). It is an amazing mixer, but not what I need, so can someone direct me to a mixer that isn't thousands of dollars that I can record with. I don't "need" it to have a usb interface, because I have an AI. Still learning.

I am not sure about the aux send because when I open my DAW (reaper) the amp starts making a high pitched noise, but it is still output the audio.
    It depends on the amp. If it has "line" outs then that can be plugged into an aux. If it only has a speaker output i would not recommend it. If it is a tube amplifier it may be damaged, if it is a solid state it could overload the aux input and sound like crap.

By the way, even a line level to aux input will not sound like a mic'd up amp speaker. Doesn't mean bad, just different. Maybe very different.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    You haven't told us what amp you are using. Does it have a line out or headphone out? If so, you can plug those directly into your USB audio interface. The mixer is not serving any purpose. On the other hand, if you are using the 'speaker out' of the amp - using this without have an actual load on the amp may be detrimental to it, you would need a 'load box', which would have an output you could send to your interface.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thread Information