Recording acoustic guitar

jmwatt1234

I'm recording 1 acoustic guitar, wondering if I should record as mono or stereo? The Mics i have are 1 condenser AT2020 and 2 SM57s.

Try recording both ways and see which you like better.

The method that suits the requirements of your song best is the one to choose.

I'm recording 1 acoustic guitar, wondering if I should record as mono or stereo? The Mics i have are 1 condenser AT2020 and 2 SM57s.

Depends what you want and where you need , or have , to put the mike(s).

I think that I would use your mikes in a spaced pair with center fill ABC type arrangement using the 57s on the outer placement and the 20 in the center.

You might want to experiment with other arrangements to see how you like those results such as using the 20 alone , 57 alone, 57s in a spaced AB pair.

With the choice of mics, I would record mono with the AT2020, I have never been a fan of sm57's on acoustic guitar in the studio. The SM57 is however a very useful mic for a lot of things.

Alan.

With the choice of mics, I would record mono with the AT2020, I have never been a fan of sm57's on acoustic guitar in the studio. The SM57 is however a very useful mic for a lot of things.

Alan.

I don't care for 57s much of the time but I have found on some acoustics it works better than a LDC or SDC. The trick is to put it no more than about three to four inches from the fretboard(actually IIRC Shure's recommendation is ~2" )right where the neck meets the body. So a good old fashioned mic shoot out with the particular guitar may be the best way to go

Yes, all of the above = there is no correct answer.
Actually, this being the newb section I think the correct answer is "Try each and every possible combination and placement. Just do it. Then do it again. Then do it again. Until you don't have to come here and ask because you know how to get the best out of what you've got."

If you're waiting for replies from the internet and not actually recording anything, you're kind of doing it wrong.

I would use all 3 microphones. I would place one SM57 by my ear, place the other SM57 by the 12th fret and the condenser by the sound hole of the guitar. Check for phase for each mic and your set!!

The reason for putting one mic at the ear level is because when you play acoustic guitar, it usually sound good, so you want to pick up exactly what you are hearing, Right? A lot of times it works great!

I'd use one, the 2020 probably, and just find the right spot to get the balance of mellow tone plus the right amount of neck sound. Realistically, when we've done guitars before, people often blend two mics for the different tones, but this doesn't make it stereo. Hard panned left and right from two mics creates guitars many feet wide, when they're not. Very gentle panning off centre and adjust the balance of multiple mics to 'create' the right sound.

I'd vote for the AT2020. Stereo recording isn't that easy and it seems that a lot can go wrong depending on the setup you choose. I'm also not a huge fan of the old SM57 on acoustic guitar. Of course, if your room is bad or too noisy, you might be forced to go with the Shure. The other option would be recording two tracks with the same guitar and panning. That would give you a nice full sound if that's what you're looking for.

And if you are planning to get into a lot of stereo recording, I might look at something like the RodeNT4. It's very easy to use since the set up is basically set in stone. :D

Back