Recording acoustic drums with triggers and MODO drum

CO3rocks

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. So, after years of struggling with recording my double bass drum kit with mics in Cubase, I am now switching to triggers (for the whole kit, except the overheads for the cymbals) with MODO drum as my plugin for MIDI recording. Drum samples sound awesome these days, with endless possibilities to tweak.

This is the setup I use:

- 2Box triggers on snare, 3 toms and kick drum (with double pedal now, instead of two separate pedals). All triggers are on the heads of the drums. I have Axis longboards with the 'hammer' mechanism, but I want to be able to play some dynamics on the kick, in stead of just 1 volume.
- DDRUM 4 Module
- Roland UA1610 Studio Capture interface
- Cubase 11
- MODO drum

I am busy setting things up and it works just fine, but I was wondering one thing:

After I record drums this way, and my MIDI track is done, can I put one drum (kick, snare or tom) louder or softer in the mix? I know I can change the velocity of a MIDI note (which corresponds to one of my individual drums), but I would like the velocity of all played notes of that drum to stay the same relative to each other, only higher or lower in total when I change it (to change the volume in the overall mix). Haven't tried it yet, but maybe someone can give me some tips beforehand. Thanks!

I use Reaper, so I'm out of water here.. Does Cubase still have the Disolve Part feature?
If you're recording the whole kit on one track I believe this can split it out for you so you can effect individual pieces.

That's all I got.. :)

The volumes of each instrument would be controlled by the vst instrument you are using to trigger the samples.

Thanks. That seems to work.

I am running into another problem as well. I switched back to the Axis longboards with 2 separate triggers, because the trigger on the bass drum head didn't pick up all the hits with double pedal. However, when I play back, when I play slow, everything sounds great. But when I go into faster double bass, the snare sounds like it's being gated. It's not gated by my drum module, so has to be something else... Does increasing buffer size on my audio interface help? Is it possible that when playing too many MIDI notes at once cause a playback problem?

Back