Recording with 3 mics simultaneously

6 String Dream

I record vocals and guitar live and have just bought another mic to use as a room mic but i cant get it to record. My sound card has 2 mic line ins but on the back of the soundcard there are various ins/outs both left and right. I tried plugging the room mic into one of these at the back of the soundcard but it didnt work. I then tried putting the mic into a small mixer i have, but i wasnt sure if i connected the mixer to the soudcard properly. Th mixer has alt 3-4 outputs and control room outs. In addition the patch mix for my souncard is set up so mic a goes into line 1 in cubase and mic b goes into line 3. There are various other channels such as adat 1-8 and and SPDIF l and r. Sorry to sound silly but ive got no idea of what should be plugged in where to get this 3rd mic to start recording. Everytime i tried connecting wires i got no recording signal from this room mic and i kept getting a very strange squeaky noise through my headphones. PLEASE HELP!!!

Maybe you could give us specific model numbers of the gear you have so we can give you specific help with it?

Mics

Mixer (sounds like some sort of Mackie)

Interface

Im using an emu 1616 soundcard, a behringer xenyx 1204 desk, cubase le and my mics are a sm58, rode nt1a and rode nt2a. I dont use the desk at present but if i have to use it in order to connect the third mic then i will. Thanks!!!

The Rode mics are condensers. The need to be connected to preamplifiers that provide phantom power. Going directly into a line input like on the back of your interface will not work. Use the mixer as a preamp. Connect the mic to a mic input using an XLR cable, and turn on phantom power. Set the level at the mixer using the procedure in the manual, then route it to an appropriate output, perhaps a subgroup out or something. Connect that to one of the line inputs on the interface and assign that to a track in your DAW.

Back