Recorded levels are lowwwwwwwww.

I generally haven't used guitar into a sound device since the sound blasters. I do use my interfaces for guitar, for sure, and will probably go through another round of testing since I got a free Revalver with a Amp purchase. Usually, it is the ToneLab, ART DPS preamp, or, a old ef86 preamp, though.

At this computer, I have the Peavey VIP-1, Tascam US-144 Mkii, and the p90 sg copy. No, I had no idea there was cheap junk like that out there that would clip a guitar input like described in post #12.

I got that you don't have any good inputs right away. If you did, you be using them. Did you have any luck with the pedal buffer ? Of course, when I would run the output of a 12w push pull into the front of the old Twin it would clip, but there was no digital clip. I've also got a couple Weber Load Line kits that will give me line out from small watt amps. So, there's that kind of stuff, also.

I kind of hijacked the OP. Sorry dude. :)

The clipping with the 2i2 is addressed all over GearSlutz too. Here's one person's recommendation, from 2012, via GS:

"You're right, clipping is an issue. Not related to software or audio settings on your computer. Focusrite keeps clipping your guitar pickup signal even when input gain is turned all the way down. (I only tested with with guitars with Fender and Seymour Duncan single coils, still don't think pickups are the problem here, anyway) Switching to line mode allows you to get rid of clipping but it ruins your original tone.
For a clean signal I run pickup signal to Scarlett through a small Mackie desk. This is obviously not what I originally wanted from a compact I/O interface. Too bad since Scarlett works brilliantly with mic and output audio and software instruments."

Further in that thread, it's also recommended to upgrade to the 8i6, which doesn't have the clipping issues, or the 2i4, which has a -10 pad. My question is, then...

Does having the volume knob on the Gibson at 5/10 compromise tone? If not, I'm not worried about it, and I'll just turn the knob down. If so, then I'll look into a DI box or get a new interface. I clearly can't test the quality loss issue for myself since it gets too choppy at clipping level for me to tell if the tone would be better at 8/10 or maybe 10/10. And I have no amp to test with either.

" Does having the volume knob on the Gibson at 5/10 compromise tone? If not, I'm not worried about it, and I'll just turn the knob down. If so, then I'll look into a DI box or get a new interface. I clearly can't test the quality loss issue for myself since it gets too choppy at clipping level for me to tell if the tone would be better at 8/10 or maybe 10/10. And I have no amp to test with either. "

Do you not have the capability to build the attenuator I mentioned Andy? (if not I strongly suggest you get some! This audio game can be done by electrical knows-nowts but not easily unless you are very rich) .

Note also that it is not the 'turning down' of the Gib's pot that causes the loss of tone, it is the cable capacitance that follows it (G does talk SOME sense!) This can be beaten by using a very short cable, sub 1mtr (3ft) . Record the guitar with a level the F'rite is happy with using a standard (3mtr?) cable and the short one.

Yes, a DI box should solve the issue. A $20ish passive box will certainly prove the problem but might introduce its own character, mind you some folks LIKE the effect! An expensive Radial would be very transparent but for that money you could buy a couple of decent pedals (NOT 'true' bypass ***t!) I will mention no names! NOT associated with me in any way are the excellent Orchid Electronics products.

Dave.

To be slightly more accurate, it's the resistance of the "top half" of the pot against the cable capacitance that kills tone. If your guitar doesn't have a ""treble bleed" back, you'll lose treble. If it does, you'll lose bass. You're probably didn't come from the factory with treble bleed.

A cable short enough to get over it is not long enough to play comfortably.

I guess I always assume most guitarists have at least one pedal laying around...

"To be slightly more accurate, it's the resistance of the "top half" of the pot against the cable capacitance that kills tone. If your guitar doesn't have a ""treble bleed" back, you'll lose treble. If it does, you'll lose bass. You're probably didn't come from the factory with treble bleed.

A cable short enough to get over it is not long enough to play comfortably.

Well! To be REALLY pedantic Ash, it is the top part of the pot in parallel with the bottom part, in parallel with whatever the source Z is feeding said pot! This is very complex and depends upon the actual setting of the pot et al.

Yes, a short cable would be a PITA but OP wanted to test the two conditions.

I would not struggle to find a 'characterless' DI. Even a very cheap transformer is not going to stand out that much and it will never actually "clip"!

Dave.

The players that use the volume controls make sure the pots aren't robbing them of tone - lots on the web about that. There are USB inputs for guitar that many people use.

Last edited:
Back