Record a sound and then play it back using my midi controller at different notes

Cjax

Hi All!

I'm a complete noob and will most likely refer to things incorrectly but this is an exciting new hobby for me and i need a little help. Here's an example of what I'd like to do:

My 2 year old daughter has this little keyboard. It has a setting that allows it to play back a cat meowing. You can play back the cat meowing the full note range of the keyboard.

I would like to be able to record a sound with my mic, into adobe audition or any of the other pieces of software I have and then play it back using my midi controller like it was an instrument.

Does that make sense? Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Please avoid the temptation to rework Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata for cat samples and post on YouTube.... you know you want to... :mad:

Thanks for your help Washburn and thanks for the laugh Armistice!

This project is for my 4 year old's entertainment and for me to learn a little more about the audio recording world.

FREE: Shortcircuit 1.1.2 from vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php
It's a vst sampler plugin; just drop the .dll into your vst folder and reboot your sequencer program.

Simply drop a .wav file onto a key and it'll play back when you trigger it via midi keyboard.
You can also make it do a range of keys like her keyboard.
Tons of features. It'll also play the jillions of soundfonts available on the web.

(Don't use v.2 on the page, the program was abandoned. But v.1.1.2 works great in any vst host)

My 2 year old daughter has this little keyboard. It has a setting that allows it to play back a cat meowing. You can play back the cat meowing the full note range of the keyboard.

I gave a friend's 7 year old daughter a 25 year old Casio SK-1 for Christmas. Kids still love that little keyboard! :D

Sampling is what you're after. Or sound fonts if you want to use what other people have already setup. Google should inform you of options. fluidsynth, hydrogen, open-ocatave, rosegarden, and other options in linux. Assuming that you have a midi controller to use as input.

This was my first time posting here or any music forum and I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised at the response. That was a set up for any follow up questions I have! :)

Thanks to all

Hi again everyone....

Alright so i went to Sam Ash to look for a new sound card with more inputs and i posed the same question to him that I did to all of you. I'm much better a expressing my questions and/or comments verbally then in writing. He said that i wanted to do could be done but would take a fairly large amount of effort. I've learned a lot reading about sampling and the programs that you might want to use to accomplish it. I've sucessfully sampled and linked that sample to different keys or pads on my Akai. But it looks like I might have to abandon what I was originally looking to do. For some reason i thought there would be a program that would automate the process of pitch shifting my original sample and assigning the new samples to indivdual keys therefore creating an instrument.

Thanks for all of your help. I think I'll be hanging out here for a little while.........Not....right here in this post........you know what i mean.

Pitch-shifting is a simple matter of changing the playback speed of the samples. If primitive samplers from the 80s could do it, surely there must be a program that can.

@ diggy

I have a few programs that I can use to shift the pitch, Audition, FL Studio...etc. What I'm trying to do is record a specific sound and then have a program take that sound, automatically pitch shift it up and down, assign the new sounds to keys on the controller thereby making an instrument.

Thanks for your patience!

Chris

@ diggy

I have a few programs that I can use to shift the pitch, Audition, FL Studio...etc. What I'm trying to do is record a specific sound and then have a program take that sound, automatically pitch shift it up and down, assign the new sounds to keys on the controller thereby making an instrument.

Thanks for your patience!

Chris

I know what you're talking about. A basic 80s style sampling instrument. If all else fails, you could get an SK-1 on Ebay and put Highly Liquid's $50 MIDI retrofit board in it.

youtube has a lot of tutorials on this with video, samples, realtime watching someone do it. Lots of software options. Half of the battle is just knowing what software can do it, and which suits your current situation (hardware / OS / ???)

I once had a Casio keyboard that sampled, little thing with half-sized keys, horrible tones but that sampling was fun and cool- you would record a sound into it, and then that sound became a note, which you could play up and down the keyboard, each key bringing the note up another half-step. Wish I'd kept that one, instead of giving it to that young woman who I worked as arranger for...

I once had a Casio keyboard that sampled, little thing with half-sized keys, horrible tones but that sampling was fun and cool- you would record a sound into it, and then that sound became a note, which you could play up and down the keyboard, each key bringing the note up another half-step. Wish I'd kept that one, instead of giving it to that young woman who I worked as arranger for...

Always fun to sample someone who's trying to have a conversation with you while you're fiddling. Then play it using them as the sample. When they start getting irate, you sample that as well and repeat. All the way up until they start to strangle you. </ not a people person>

That's the aforementioned SK-1. I have several of those. Gave one to a 7-year-old for Christmas. Might be willing to part with another one.

Back