Record audio from certain direction

Reiden

Hi guys, stupid question probably, but can't find info on the Internet. Is it possible to record sounds coming from certain direction? E.g individuals speaking in the loud room.

Hi guys, stupid question probably, but can't find info on the Internet. Is it possible to record sounds coming from certain direction? E.g individuals speaking in the loud room.
You can get very directional microphones, called "shotgun" mics but I think the really good ones are very expensive.
40+ years ago we used a parabolic reflector to very good effect (with a Grampian DP4 mic...Google it!)

Do they still make the reflectors?

Dave.

Thank you! It's quite disappointing.... Is it a way to separate speech coming from 1 person by using any programs in short amount of time? e.g. I point normal mic towards someone and then program will amplify the volume of the person I am pointing the mic to.

I second that you need a shotgun mic, trying to fix a bad recording will never sound as good as getting it right at the recording stage. Look for a secondhand Sennheiser K3U ME80, they are a short shotgun, I have 3 of these and they are great at rejecting side and rear noise.

Alan.

Back