Recommendations on plug-ins for a beginner

frenchdogblue

Hi,

I'm fairly new to music production, and so far have just used Logic stock plug-ins. I'm interested in investing in an EQ, compression, reverb and delay plug-in, on the understanding that you can get much 'higher quality' ones than are stocked with a DAW. Would like how much of a noticeable difference there is between Logic's stock plug-ins and leading plugins from other companies, to a relatively beginner ear, and recommendations of what to look at if so?

I don't think I need loads of plug-ins so mainly interested in the 'core' ones mentioned above as they are what I currently use - though open to suggestions.

Waves Hybrid series looks interesting as it contains the four I've mentioned as seems like a reasonable price.

*note, while I say beginner, I am also aspiring to create demos that I can share online, so I am prepared to pay for incremental improvement in quality. However if it's the case you need to be an advanced user to actually extract the extra value, maybe they're not for me.

Every free plug from Tokyo Dawn Labs -- If you're new, you'll probably find a bit of a learning curve. But their free stuff is better than most of the paid stuff out there.

Something to realize is that with plug-ins, a pretty interface really doesn't make it work well. Anyone can copy the faceplate of a high end vintage piece of gear, but that doesn't mean that it operates like a vintage piece of gear. I would rather get rid of the fancy pictures and conserve the CPU cycles for the important stuff.

Back