Recommendation for a budget mic louder than the Behringer XM8500

If you are looking in the < $30USD range, I don't have any suggestions.

The obvious choice though would be to get a condenser microphone, as they are almost always more sensitive (with that set of problems). And, they do require phantom power for operation, something your current mic does not. You didn't state what you were plugging into, and if switching to a condenser mic would be an option.

It's funny, the Behringer site for this mic describes it as "Extremely high signal output lets your voice cut through" but the spec sheet lists sensitivity as -70dB (with no additional info), but that does seem a bit low. The Shure SM58, something that mic is clearly designed to look like, is a little more detailed with this spec: Sensitivity (at 1,000 Hz Open Circuit Voltage); –54.5 dBV/Pa (1.85 mV); 1 Pa = 94 dB SPL.

For a dynamic mic, you might look at something like the Shure PGA48, based on it's specification, is all I can suggest (never used one). At least it looks to be in line with the SM58: Sensitivity at 1 kHz, open circuit voltage; -53.5 dBV/Pa (2.10 mV); 1 Pa=94 dB SPL.

To get a louder dynamic microphone you'd probably need to move to some of the hotter super/hyper-cardioid models, like Shure's Beta series, which are not "budget" models.

keith..... the specs on the XM8500 always surprised me as being such low output. I kind of wondered if it was an error, but I occasionally see reviews on it that say it's a decent mic that works well.

Nathan.... take a look at the Samson dynamic mics Q6 or Q7. Both are budget mics with a supercardioid pattern and have neodymium elements which give a high output. I have seen good reviews of Samson mics on another board I'm a member on.
What are you plugging the mic into?

Samson — Q6 3.2mv/PA hottest output
Samson — Q7 2.2mv/PA

I think you're in Malaysia(?). I don't know what you have available for music retailers, but found the link below. Might be priced better elsewhere.
https://shopee.com.my/Samson-Q6-Dynamic-Microphone-i.30748640.1676730394

hi guys thanks for your prompt reply, I'm using the mic with this Marantz PM580AVK MKII amp

I can raise my budget to about 80usd

yes I'm from Malaysia Mark, how did you guess it though? impressive haha

Keith I did look at SM58 before but I read a review somewhere mentioning that XM8500 is tad louder than it? =/

Behringer's sensitivity number is probably wrong, or it's measured against some criteria different from what Shure does.

Are you sure it's the mic that's not loud enough, vs. that 120w amp? Are you pushing everything through that and the vocals aren't on top? That's not really a PA level of power you've got there, so I have to wonder whether you just need more power output vs. a hotter input. If it's the mic, then that Sampson Q6 looks like it will be (using an online calculator because I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS STUFF ;)) in the range of 3dB louder, all things being equal, ymmv, etc. I.e., it will be noticeably louder, assuming it doesn't overload the front end of your amp, of course!

hi guys thanks for your prompt reply, I'm using the mic with this Marantz PM580AVK MKII amp

I can raise my budget to about 80usd

The PM580AVK has 1/4" TS jacks which are 'unbalanced'. The XM8500 mic has an XLR connector (balanced). Is the cable you are using an XLR to 1/4" TS(tip-sleeve)? If using a cable with a TRS(tip-ring-sleeve) to plug into the Marantz, there's a possibility something may not connect properly.
Likely a low output on the XM8500 if the specs are correct from Behringer.

yes I'm from Malaysia Mark, how did you guess it though? impressive haha
If I suggest something from a retailer it helps to know what retailer to point to. You used your real name and a quick search on Google found you on Facebook which hinted at where you were :)

Attachments

• 483n97489969_n78825_81828.jpg
    483n97489969_n78825_81828.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 15
I am thinking that the jack plug mic input is a HighZ input and the Behringer is a LowZ mic. Try using one of these. Any brand will do.

Alan.

download (1).png

I am thinking that the jack plug mic input is a HighZ input and the Behringer is a LowZ mic. Try using one of these. Any brand will do.

Alan.

I was originally thinking that as well, but the amp service manual shows the mic input being 4 kohms which should be OK for most low-z mics as long as the mic truly is something better than -70dB / 0.3mv/PA sensitivity.

Attachments

• mic input.jpg
    mic input.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 54
Great explanation you gave Keith.
You made me wonder how you look at the better wide range electret dynamic microphones? There was a time once that they were very popular.
And then i mean the serious studio quality electret dynamic microphones. Not the computer and mobile stuff.
An electret microphone is a type of condenser mic, not a dynamic. An electret has permanent charge on the diaphragm rather than having a polarizing voltage applied from an internal power supply in the mic, sometimes the 48 volts phantom itself.
True Condenser Vs. Elektret Condenser - What's the Difference?

Back