Reaper to Pro Tools

macgyverspeaks

Kind of hard to get to the studio, so I was wondering if I could do the following. Should be simple enough.

Use Reaper to record vocals then email the wavs to the engineer who will mix in protools. Should I be worried about degrading on the vocals between the transfer. Does the vocals quality wise (dry) sound just as good on reaper if you were to use the same hardware and record into Pro Tools 10?

I have the original mbox and hoping reaper will work with it. I should be home tomorrow to test. I started to get decent with cubase but I don't have a version for for windows 7 64bit so this is why I am going to try reaper.

Any decent DAW (and Reaper can be included) will not alter the data being received from your sound card in any way. It just lays down to disk what the interface is outputting. Obviously this only applies as long as you're not deliberately applying any effects, sample rate conversions, etc.

...so, assuming you can make your Mbox work with Reaper, all should be good.

The only potential pitfall I can see is your plan to email wave files...they may end up bigger than many email servers will handle.

A lot of people do this kinda stuff (sending wav files back and forth to record a sing )
Like Bobbsy said, e-mailing might not be a great idea. You should look into services such as Dropbox for mass transfers.

Any decent DAW (and Reaper can be included) will not alter the data being received from your sound card in any way. It just lays down to disk what the interface is outputting. Obviously this only applies as long as you're not deliberately applying any effects, sample rate conversions, etc.

...so, assuming you can make your Mbox work with Reaper, all should be good.

The only potential pitfall I can see is your plan to email wave files...they may end up bigger than many email servers will handle.

Thanks...just wanted to clarify the wav not getting degraded using a in-expensive DAW. As far as the MBOX I got it working on Windows 7 64 bit - well at least I have it recognized using .usb-audio . com USB Audio - the low latency experience[/url] and now I have the option in reaper to use it. I like the preamp that comes with the digi 001. I am going to install the trial version of Pro Tools 10 to see if I can get it to work with the mbox as well.

Any decent DAW (and Reaper can be included) will not alter the data being received from your sound card in any way. It just lays down to disk what the interface is outputting.

Just on a side note, but you are also going to want to make sure you are using the same sample rates, bit rates, etc. otherwise you may accidentally "downgrade" the quality without realizing it. By default, they should both be the same at 44.1, but something to keep in mind.

By the time Reaper, or any DAW software, gets to your tracks, they're already digitised. It's the process of digitisation in the first place, via the AD converters in your interface, not to mention the quality you've captured with your microphone and preamp on your voice in the room you're in, that will effect the quality you hear in Reaper...

Pro Tools often gets used in the professional market because there is a frequent need to exchange work in progress among several different studios and they need to be compatible. Also, in a fully professional set up (using the hardware as well as the software) it's a pretty stable environment.

That said, I agree with you that there are better DAWs out there depending on what features you need. I used to have to use Pro Tools at work (for the reasons stated above) but, for my home studio, I chose different software that just suited my work flow better.

If people are happy with Pro Tools, fine. However, I think that home recording fans can often get a lot more functionality (and a better User Interface) for less money.

A lot of people do this kinda stuff (sending wav files back and forth to record a sing )
Like Bobbsy said, e-mailing might not be a great idea. You should look into services such as Dropbox for mass transfers.

That or see if the particular studio has a private server that you can upload it all to.

It's totally fine, just make sure the file you send it's mp.3 or any other sort of lossy format.

If you record it in 44.1k 24 bit, then the file you send should be the same.

It's totally fine, just make sure the file you send it's mp.3 or any other sort of lossy format.

If you record it in 44.1k 24 bit, then the file you send should be the same.

...I think maybe you left out an important "not" in the first sentence!

Back