Reaper - Metronome/Midi/Software Question

fritsthegirl

Taste of home
I tried out 'Addictive Drums', it's cool. I just used it as a metronome during the trial period. Now the time is coming to hand out money to use it, I'm reckoning it's excessive to my requirements. :D

I just want a decent, reliable kick drum that works easy with the metronome in Reaper. I'm sure for creating a basic drum beat I can just use the midi editor and samples in Reaper. Does anyone have any helpful tips/links on this topic? I don't really know where to start.

There are a number of ways of doing this, and I'm hoping that others will jump in.

One that you can try in Reaper is this:

1 Record some random percussion, for example, by banging on your guitar.

2 Create a new track. Click on the FX button and insert ReasamplOmatic5000. This is one of the Cockos plugins that comes with Reaper.

3 Click on your recorded percussion to select it.

4 In ReasamplOmatc, click on "import a selected item from range".

5 Drag left and right yellow lines to narrow the selection to just one of your percussive hits.

6 Insert a midi item on the track with the sampler, and insert midi notes in this midi item.

When played, the midi notes will play the samped percussive sound.

I'm confused about your just 'wanting a kick drum'! Gecko's idea of smapled sounds is good, but programming a whole midi percussion track by scratch is a lot of work (at least it woudl be for me!) Have you looked at EZ Drummer?

I'm confused about your just 'wanting a kick drum'! Gecko's idea of smapled sounds is good, but programming a whole midi percussion track by scratch is a lot of work (at least it woudl be for me!) Have you looked at EZ Drummer?

Hmm? I "looked at" EZ Drummer demo and when I came to uninstall it with Revounistaller WHAT a time it took! The app leaves a ton of ***t in the Registry.

Re Reaper and a drum "click" track. I am NO Reaper 'spert but I got the click track working, changed the tempo and then setup a second MIDI track triggered by it. This second track could therefore have a kick sound in it (I tried and failed to get Win Wavetable running). Then you just mute the click?

Being a 'tronics hardware bod my solution would be to link MIDI (click) out of one soundcard and trigger BFD Eco on another computer. In fact! I have an old Yamaha PSS 790 Portasound keyboard with a built in sequencer so this sort of thing would be easy to setup in that.

Dave.

Hmm? I "looked at" EZ Drummer demo and when I came to uninstall it with Revounistaller WHAT a time it took! The app leaves a ton of ***t in the Registry.

Re Reaper and a drum "click" track. I am NO Reaper 'spert but I got the click track working, changed the tempo and then setup a second MIDI track triggered by it. This second track could therefore have a kick sound in it (I tried and failed to get Win Wavetable running). Then you just mute the click?

Being a 'tronics hardware bod my solution would be to link MIDI (click) out of one soundcard and trigger BFD Eco on another computer. In fact! I have an old Yamaha PSS 790 Portasound keyboard with a built in sequencer so this sort of thing would be easy to setup in that.

Dave.

The first bit I understand but everything else is a bit over my head I'm afraid. I think I have to just read up a bit more about what Reaper can do...I get impatient though, I much prefer to :guitar: over learning how to use software. For this reason alone it might be worth paying for something like Addictive Drums/EZ Drummer. It's all done for me, and super easy to use.

There are a number of ways of doing this, and I'm hoping that others will jump in.

One that you can try in Reaper is this:

1 Record some random percussion, for example, by banging on your guitar.

2 Create a new track. Click on the FX button and insert ReasamplOmatic5000. This is one of the Cockos plugins that comes with Reaper.

3 Click on your recorded percussion to select it.

4 In ReasamplOmatc, click on "import a selected item from range".

5 Drag left and right yellow lines to narrow the selection to just one of your percussive hits.

6 Insert a midi item on the track with the sampler, and insert midi notes in this midi item.

When played, the midi notes will play the samped percussive sound.

Cheers for this, I tried it once, but failed at step 5 to crop the percussive hit and get it to load as a note on the track. I'm pretty incompetent with Reaper...

The first bit I understand but everything else is a bit over my head I'm afraid. I think I have to just read up a bit more about what Reaper can do...I get impatient though, I much prefer to :guitar: over learning how to use software. For this reason alone it might be worth paying for something like Addictive Drums/EZ Drummer. It's all done for me, and super easy to use.

Yeah, well knowing something CAN be done is 90% of the battle. I know that if I get the MIDI triggering right I can get one track to drive another. I basically hack about till I get there!

I will see if I can do it in my go-to DAW, Samplitude SE8. THEN I should know what I am looking for. Were my son at home he would sort it in a flash (but I am better wiv valves!)

Dave. (I would still avoid EZ-Drummer)

I haven't yet, but might now.

EZD is real easy to use in its basic mode - just drag and drop the pattern into a midi track. Want more measures of the pattern, just click and drag them open. Basic gives you a stereo mixed track (mixer built-in to tweak). Once you get comfortable with it, you can edit the MIDI hits, put each drum mic/overheard into a separate track for better mixing and FX control, etc.

I thought Addictive Drums had an unlimited demo with the basic kit? Perhaps they've changed their business model, but if they have, just continue to use that via the Reaper MIDI editor.

I do all my drums with Reaper / Addicitive - it's extremely powerful and you can get quite realistic stuff with it with a bit of time..

Sample

If you need help getting the MIDI programming going, just yell. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

I'd also recommend you learn to program a basic drum pattern rather than just a kick / metronome. You'll get more "feel" in your tracks if you're playing along to appropriately programmed drums rather than just 1, 2, 3, 4, thump, thump thump etc.

Just to throw in another way of making a click track. Get a free Drum Sampler like the one HERE.

Put it in your VST Folder. (C:\Program Files\VstPlugins)
Create a new track in Reaper (Insert >>> Virtual instrument on new track...)
Add a blank midi item (Insert >>> New Midi Item)
Edit the midi item with whatever beat you want. eg: 4 hihats, snare hits etc.
Drag the midi item for as long as you need the metronome. Change you BPM to whatever you want.
Done

I do the above but I use EZDrummer. Usually just a 4/4 hihat to play along to. I always do drums last but like a good click track. I can't stand that clock click click click of a metronome. Bugs the shit out of me and give me a headache.

:thumbs up:

Just to throw in another way of making a click track. Get a free Drum Sampler like the one HERE.

Put it in your VST Folder. (C:\Program Files\VstPlugins)
Create a new track in Reaper (Insert >>> Virtual instrument on new track...)
Add a blank midi item (Insert >>> New Midi Item)
Edit the midi item with whatever beat you want. eg: 4 hihats, snare hits etc.
Drag the midi item for as long as you need the metronome. Change you BPM to whatever you want.
Done

I do the above but I use EZDrummer. Usually just a 4/4 hihat to play along to. I always do drums last but like a good click track. I can't stand that clock click click click of a metronome. Bugs the shit out of me and give me a headache.

:thumbs up:

Just made time to get this vst and use it. It worked! I can finally say goodbye to that click. Thanks heaps, :thumbs up: x2

Back