reaper and fx

musomaniac

hi all , heres another stupid question , but unfortunately i'm a total newbie to recording , i have reaper , and would like to record some guitar , do i have to record totally clean , ie with no effects , distortion ect , and add it after recording , the passage i want to play is pretty fast alternate picking and to do it without some degree of distortion on is extremely difficult , would it be possible for someone to walk me thru the process of how to do it.
many thanks in anticipation

ok thanks for the links , some intersting information within them , i have an all valve starfield preamp in my rack , and a 4 x12 marshall cab , i already have a shure 57 mic so i'll mic my cab up and see what it sounds like , would still like to know how to record with distortion plugins pre record (if you know what i mean ) rather than putting it on after recording . surely reaper can do this .

hi all , heres another stupid question , but unfortunately i'm a total newbie to recording , i have reaper , and would like to record some guitar , do i have to record totally clean , ie with no effects , distortion ect , and add it after recording

get the sound you want out of your amp and record it. you won't need to add effects within reaper.

get the sound you want out of your amp and record it. you won't need to add effects within reaper.

+1. Yes, why use a plug-in for distortion when you can just use your pedal or amp distortion. Just my opinion but, using as many of your own effects is generally more natural sounding than using plug-ins. If you insist upon using a plug-in fx, you can certainly do that once you've recorded the track - I don't recall if you can use fx on the fly and monitor the recording while you play but, I'd imagine Reaper would let you, I've just never tried it myself, never needed to do that.

Often times a direct box will have two outs, one to be recorded and one that's just a through output. I think, if for some reason you want to use a sound besides your miced amp, but can get a sound close to what you want from your amp, one of these DI boxes would work.
You'd take the line out from the DI to your interface and the through-out to your amp, dial up your amp so you can play the part, then record the non-amped signal from the DI.
Afterwards, you can apply whatever effects you want to the dry part you recorded, or even reamp it and be able to fine-tune your amp settings and mic placement without having to play it over and over.

EDIT:
OTOH, once you've armed the track in reaper, the little speaker button that pops up on the track once you arm it allows you to do input monitoring, I'm fairly certain if you play around with these settings you can hear what you're playing going through whatever effects you have on the track.
The problem here is it's gonna introduce some latency that might screw you up if you're trying to play a really fast passage. You can reduce latency by getting the right buffer size settings and whatnot, but that all goes out of my depth, so I won't try to advise on how to do it.

ok many thanks for the replies , as you can guess i'm totally new to recording , but i'll try my amp and cab with the mic and see what comes out :eek: the only thing is the volume , will i have to crank the volume up , and should i put something round the mic so it doesn't pick up the drums coming from my monitors :confused:

Ideally don't have open monitors when recording in the room, but if you're close mic'ing the amp and put a bit of thought into where you position it in relation to the monitors then you can probably get away with it with negligible bleed that will just get lost in the mix.

I've heard of rare cases of people trying to get overcreative and tracking vocals in a control room with open monitors because they reckon the sound of the spill into the mic suits the mix, but I remain slightly sceptical of whether such situations exist where there is no other option to get the same effect other than to do this... if they really like it that much, why not get the vocals done cleanly then just record the sound of the mix being played through the monitors in the control room later on as a separate track?

Anyway, going off point a bit... really you would want to use headphones.

Even better is to shove the cab+mic in another room that is well isolated from your main room; then you can play and hear it through the monitors without having to worry about the spill from them, as well as the added benefit of being able to make better judgement and adjustments of the tone and how it fits in with the mix... when you record with headphones getting the right tone can be very hit and miss and require you to record a section, listen to it back, tweak and repeat, whereas with this you can properly hear how it will fit in with the mix.

If you keep the head in the room with you and run speaker cable then you can make some tone adjustments without having to move (though obviously mic placement is also as important as amp settings), plus its better to run long lengths of speaker cable than instrument cable.

As for cranking the volume, these really depends on the tone you're going for. For a rich distortion tone from a large valve amp then its often preferable to turn it up and find its 'sweet spot' which is likely to be at higher volumes... get those tubes glowing and some air moving :p Some people prefer smaller tube amps for recording as they can get that tasty distortion at lower levels and with less fuss. You can also use a power attenuator like the THD Hot Plate so you can crank the amp but have the cab running at a lower volume, but these get quite pricey. In many other situations you can get a good tone a a comfortable low volume though.

will i have to crank the volume up:

get the amp sounding how you want it to sound recorded. if you prefer the sound of the amp cranked up, then crank it. when you get it sounding how you want to hear it recorded, put a mic in front of it.

and should i put something round the mic so it doesn't pick up the drums coming from my monitors :confused:

depends on the mic, which way it's pointing, and the volume of those drums. put the amp in a different room if it's an issue. you can't really "put something around the mic".

Back