Reaper and Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gain problem

ChicagoJames

Hi, I recently purchase a focusrite Scarlett 18 I-20. I've been using it with Reaper and have had some issues. I'm using 8 mics to record drums however when the preamp gains on the focusrite are all the way down at zero the sound is clipping on all tracks in Reaper. Help! Not sure if this is something that I need to change in the reaper settings or if it's an issue with the focusrite 18 I-20 hardware. I'm able to record however when rendering the audio since my preamps gains are all the way down there recording is so low it sounds muffled. Ideas?

I'm using 8 mics to record drums however when the preamp gains on the focusrite are all the way down at zero the sound is clipping on all tracks in Reaper.

How about when you try to record voice or something else? Does the same problem occur?

I'm able to record however when rendering the audio since my preamps gains are all the way down there recording is so low it sounds muffled.

Does this mean that even if the recording level is low the tracks are clipped?

My first thought is a focusrite problem, because that is where input levels are set. Reaper doesn't control this.

What does the Focusrite control panel show? You should be able to adjust channel gain in that app as well. Are there pads on each channel? It's been a while since I've used an 18i20 so I can't remember.

using Asio drivers? What is the input signal look like in the Focusrite mix control ?

I use that unit with Reaper and dont recall ever reall changing settings except on the buffers and I have very normal input levels with a wide variety of signals.

What does the Focusrite control panel show? You should be able to adjust channel gain in that app as well. Are there pads on each channel? It's been a while since I've used an 18i20 so I can't remember.

Indeed, the 18i20 has a max input of +8.5dBu for the mic inputs, that is 2.7V rms and even with drums I doubt you are getting that level. Maybe from a capacitor on the kick but not dynamics.

Dave.

You might be clipping in Reaper, but it doesn't mean you are clipping. Check to see if your inputs are really clipping. It could be you are exceeding the output levels with all mics, but the input is just fine. If you are clipping your wave will have a flat spot instead of a point on the peaks.

I've had problems with some Focusrite preamps that can't handle industry standard mics on drums (I'm thinking AKG C451 on hihat and cymbals as well as Sennheiser 604 on snare).

Back