Reaper...

Kingofpain678

Returned from the dead
I think it would be cool if reaper had actual channel strips rather than just mixing faders.
I understand that the fx plugin thing is there, and the phase inversion is nice... But a simple eq and maybe even other channel strip configurations would be the icing on the cake, IMO anyways...

When I first started using Reaper, after having used Logic for many years, I found the 'bareness' of Reaper disturbing.

However, I found it didn't take that long to get used to it, and I now find it to be extremely powerful. One of the reasons for this power is down to this bareness, i.e. it is highly configurable. I expect this flexibility would be compromised through 'hardwired' channel strips and similar.

Even so, it is possible to create track templates with your favourite plugins, and create new projects using these templates. If you provide enough space (for example, if you are using two screens and float the mixing view on one), the plugins you have added will show up.

The concept of Reaper is that it doesn't force you to bend to their wishes,
you bend it to your own.

They could put in a crappy set of buttons and call it a channel strip, or you
can find the one YOU want and put it in yourself and make a template....

Personally, I prefer freedom of choice.

or you
can find the one YOU want and put it in yourself and make a template....

I love me some templates. :D

Now that the studio is pretty much all wired up and most of the mics are set permanently I can be ready to track the entire band live in about 10 minutes and all of that is checking that mics are plugged in a placed properly. Reaper only takes two clicks.

I love the custom keyboard shortcuts too.

I think it would be cool if reaper had actual channel strips rather than just mixing faders.
I understand that the fx plugin thing is there, and the phase inversion is nice... But a simple eq and maybe even other channel strip configurations would be the icing on the cake, IMO anyways...

You mean something like this? (see attachment)

1.) Right-click Master track > Show FX parameters when size permits.
2.) Add your FX
3.) Click on the blank knobs in the mixer to add whatever you'd like
4.) Click the "FX" button on the mixer: FX > Save chain as default for new tracks

Now you should be able to set your view as either a screenset, track template, or project template. I have mine saved as a 16-track project template. You can set it as the default in Options > Preferences > Project

Heh I hope that helps you out a little :)

*edit*
Oh! Another cool thing. You can assign the FX parameters per track to a MIDI controller! (Action list > Adjust track fx parameter)

Attachments

• chanstripreap.png
    chanstripreap.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 80
You mean something like this? (see attachment)

1.) Right-click Master track > Show FX parameters when size permits.
2.) Add your FX
3.) Click on the blank knobs in the mixer to add whatever you'd like
4.) Click the "FX" button on the mixer: FX > Save chain as default for new tracks

Now you should be able to set your view as either a screenset, track template, or project template. I have mine saved as a 16-track project template. You can set it as the default in Options > Preferences > Project

Heh I hope that helps you out a little :)

*edit*
Oh! Another cool thing. You can assign the FX parameters per track to a MIDI controller! (Action list > Adjust track fx parameter)

SWEET!

Good tip!!

Back