questions with volume control (windows)

[B]

why can't i choose my "mixer device" to be my line-in port. that's where i would plug my monitors into. (it only lets me choose my USB interface or the computer mic i bought a LONG time ago as the playback devices.) right now i have them plugged into my USB interface and that into a USB port. but with that, i can't do any multi-tracking and overdubbing because this interface only has a left and right output. i did try to plug my mixer into the line input on my USB interface, but then when i go back and listen to what i record it only plays through one speaker, it's not a stereo sound. i've been struggling with this FOREVER now as my recordings are really starting to make me angry. people are telling me i'm wayyy better live, which makes me want my recordings to be atleast up to par. please please please help me out with this. anything would be awesome from you guys. thank you.

-brian.

Your mixer device is not a hardware input for line in, the USB port is hardware. Do you have a sound card that you can choose?
are you using a cable that allows you to come out of your mixer discreetly L and R ? The adapter on the other end should allow you to plug the left and right into it before it goes into the line in on the usb interface. The adapter must be a Stereo adapter.
It should work on your sound card as well. On your mixer the panning of the channel needs to be in the center to get the signal down the L/R lines as well.

Last edited:
Toki987 said:
Your mixer device is not a hardware input for line in, the USB port is hardware. Do you have a sound card that you can choose?
are you using a cable that allows you to come out of your mixer discreetly L and R ? The adapter on the other end should allow you to plug the left and right into it before it goes into the line in on the usb interface. The adapter must be a Stereo adapter.
It should work on your sound card as well. On your mixer the panning of the channel needs to be in the center to get the signal down the L/R lines as well.

sorry, but i don't understand that part. i don't have a sound card....the computer is all stock.

[B] said:
sorry, but i don't understand that part. i don't have a sound card....the computer is all stock.

can you tell me the brand name of the usb interface and the type of mixer you have?

it's just a simple Fast Track by M-Audio. my mixer is a channel by peavey. i just wanted to plug my monitors into the line in port on my computer....and the volume control isn't letting me change the playback device to make the sound go to the line-in port. the only options i can choose from are the fast track (usb) and very old computer mic (not sure how that can be a playback device?). you just told me (i htink) that i can't plug my monitors into the line in on my computer at get sound, correct?

correct. Line in on your computer is for sounds going into the device. You need to use line out for your monitors, if they are powered. IF not you need to go from line-out to an amplifier, and then to the monitors from the amp.

Doesn't the FastTrack have an output? Use that. You shouldn't even need to use the built-in soundcard anymore.

it does have a left and right output (rca outputs) but i can't plug both my mixer and my monitors into them. (i have cheap $175 m-audio studiopro4 monitors, if anyone was wondering). i would need 2 left and right outputs for that then, correct?

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MDOFASTTRACK/view--Rear

that's the fast track rear side

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MDOFASTTRACK/view--Front

that's it from the front.

i have my monitors plugged into the left and right outputs of the fast track (rear) so that takes up everything. i tried using a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter to plug my mixer into the line-in port on the fast track (rear) but then the sound, after i was done recording, only came out of my left monitor.

thank you guys for all your help.

ok, the guitar signal is a mono signal. It will be sent down one buss of the stereo outputs unless you flip the switch to mono on the front. The same applies to the microphone input. Apparently this unit is not built to record more than a single mono source at the time, but you'll get stereo output from the mixer in the software after you ahve multitracked and mixed into stereo output.

To get stereo results: you would record two instances of a source onto your multitracking software. on track1 you would either pan it left or between left and center. The 2nd source would be recorded onto track 2 and it would be panned right or between left and center. The software must send its output to Fasttracks. The left and right outputs on Fastrack can be routed to a stereo mixer or any other playback device, including monitors.

To get binaural output results: set the pan controls in each track in the software to center. It will give the same signal to the L/R outputs of the Fastrack.

'hope that helps you.

binaural?

god, i just need to get some tech in here. right now i'm so frusterated....all i want to do is what i do best, make music.

ok....is there a way i could just ditch the whole USB interface and still use my mixer (have to for phantom power) and my monitors?

[B] said:
binaural?

god, i just need to get some tech in here. right now i'm so frusterated....all i want to do is what i do best, make music.

Don`t freak out. You`ll get even more confused.

Binaural means you get the same thing out of left and right, (you can call it mono for this).

step 1: connect the output of the mixer to the line input on the front of the Ftrack.

step 2: connect the outputs (left and right) of the Ftrak to your monitors.

step 3: plug your headphones into the headphone out on the Ftrack

step 4: plug your mic into a channel on the mixer. make sure your software is running and in record mode for a channel in the software. Speak into the mic and see if you have a signal running into the Ftrack and make sure its is being seen by the software. if it is, then record it.

step 5: Play the recorded track back, and on the software pan the signal back and forth. You should hear it in both monitors.

Toki987 said:
Don`t freak out. You`ll get even more confused.

Binaural means you get the same thing out of left and right, (you can call it mono for this).

step 1: connect the output of the mixer to the line input on the front of the Ftrack.

step 2: connect the outputs (left and right) of the Ftrak to your monitors.

step 3: plug your headphones into the headphone out on the Ftrack

step 4: plug your mic into a channel on the mixer. make sure your software is running and in record mode for a channel in the software. Speak into the mic and see if you have a signal running into the Ftrack and make sure its is being seen by the software. if it is, then record it.

step 5: Play the recorded track back, and on the software pan the signal back and forth. You should hear it in both monitors.

first i want to thank you soooo much for being patient with me. do you mean the backside of the fastrack? and that's what i have. i connected it with an 1/8 female, 1/4 male adaptor. that part i did right, no? i have done everything you want me to do before i made this thread...that's how i had it set-up. i'll try recording with this signal chain again and tell you the results.

-brian.

oh and do you still want me to make it push the button (on the front) so it's a mono signal instead of stereo?

[B] said:
first i want to thank you soooo much for being patient with me. do you mean the backside of the fastrack? and that's what i have. i connected it with an 1/8 female, 1/4 male adaptor. that part i did right, no? i have done everything you want me to do before i made this thread...that's how i had it set-up. i'll try recording with this signal chain again and tell you the results.

-brian.

it still came out only on the right side.

Back