Question for Yamaha AW1600 users...

khedger

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and to recording, and I have a possibly stupid question. I hope this is the right place to ask. Anyway, here goes.

I've got an AW1600 multitrack. I have a few synths plugged into it. I am using headphones (I don't have any monitors at the moment).

I notice that no matter what the position of the faders on the mixer is, even completely shut down, I still hear the synths in my phones. Does the 'monitor/headphones' signal path not go through the fader section of the mixer, or is there something I haven't done to associate the inputs that I'm using to their respective channel strips/faders?

I'd like to hear my 'mix' through the headphones, and it seems to me to be a reasonable expectation.

I couldn't find anything helpful in the manual or trying different Google searches so I'll ask here.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any helpful info,

keith

Last edited:
Not familiar with the AW1600 but it would seem the headphone path is PRE faders.

Now, there might be jumpers on the PCB to change that to post fader but I doubt it. One solution occurs, is the Main Out (TRS?) post fader, i.e. a mix? If so just hang a headphone amp on those, or a small, gash mixer if there is one about.

Dave.

Not familiar with the AW1600 but it would seem the headphone path is PRE faders.

Now, there might be jumpers on the PCB to change that to post fader but I doubt it. One solution occurs, is the Main Out (TRS?) post fader, i.e. a mix? If so just hang a headphone amp on those, or a small, gash mixer if there is one about.

Dave.

Just a followup newbie question. What sense does it make to have the headphone output be pre-fader? I mean on a machine like this (as opposed to a modular recorder/mixer/outboard gear studio setup) wouldn't one typically want to hear the mix in the headphones if they are being used? I ask this not to be argumentative, but for my own elucidation.

I looked at the manual (page 19) and it says that "By changing the internal settings, (my emphasis) you can also use these faders to control the input levels of input channels 1-8 and pads 1-4." I had an old Boss digital recorder, and if I recall it was set up this way, whereby you had to do something to switch the faders from just affecting the recorded mix to being exclusively for balancing incoming signals. Your manual is 232 pages long, so I would say search for this mysterious "internal setting."

K , I think the faders for each track come into play "After" the tracks have been Recorded . I sometimes use an AW16g before my interface if I need more inputs. For volume adjustments use the input gain knobs for each channel. These are really clean recorders but editing can be a nightmare. What model do you have ? Mark

Hi Kheger

I'm assuming that you are using the DIRECT recording mode.

Are you using effects on the Synth? If so, the effects should route around the fader and can show up on the headphone mix. I just checked on my AW and with the Plate Reverb set you can monitor with the reverb, but if you pull the fader down all you hear is the reverb. Try hitting BYPASS on the EFF1 and EFF2 pages for the recorded channel and see if the sound goes away.

I suspect its in the Effects bus.

Definitely check out the DIJONSTOCK forum. There's a vast amount of information stored there.

Back