question I'n not sure what the best forum is for it, please help.

I've always recorded on a stand alone Roland or Tascam recorder. Anyway I had kidney problems and now I have to spend 4 hours a day 3 days a week in dialysis. I want to buy a program for my laptop where i can record drum and bass. I'm pretty good with drum machines so it doesn't have to be anything that simple. Is there a program out there that would fit my purposes, preferably for 300 or less?

Record as in with microphones? Or with virtual instruments?. Most of the big DAW's offer lite versions for low cost. Then there is Reaper and Audacity which are available to use at no cost. There are a lot of freeware and minimal cost VST instrument plug ins to get you started. You might bring a laptop to your sessions and do some research online cuz it really depends on what you are trying to do. LOTs of vids on you tube about using VI's(virtual instruments)

I've always recorded on a stand alone Roland or Tascam recorder. Anyway I had kidney problems and now I have to spend 4 hours a day 3 days a week in dialysis. I want to buy a program for my laptop where i can record drum and bass. I'm pretty good with drum machines so it doesn't have to be anything that simple. Is there a program out there that would fit my purposes, preferably for 300 or less?

You really need an Audio Interface Chuck. The Steinberg UR22 comes in at the £100 mark (you $ US?) and comes with a cut down but nonetheless very powerful version of Cubase. Now, many people find Cubase a bit tricky (I am one such and use Samplitude!) but you might "click" with it. Nothing better for MIDI work (the UR22 has MIDI I/O)

Even if Cubase does not suit it has cost you nothing and you could look at Reaper or one of the "cut and shunt" softwares such as Ableton or Magix Music Maker.

Better still is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. With that you could record 4 channels, 6 if you have a digital source. That also comes with Cubase "lite" but also Kontakt player and 3G of downloadable samples. About another 60 quid.

Both AIs give you a cheap upgrade path to the full Cubase software. (called a "DAW" btw)

Dave.

just a simple set up to work on drums and bass, then when i'm home in my studio i could transfer to my actual recorder.

Hi. I would check out Cakewalk by Bandlab
It's free (you need to register, and be online to install, but not to use) and comes with both a drum synth and bass synth, among other things.
You need an app called Bandlab Assistant to download and install it.
If you have any questions about ut, just PM me.
All the best.

Back