Question on gear

thegatekeeper

Hi guys this is my first post here and I wanted to start out by asking a few questions on gear. I have been doing pa work with no recording at all, but I have picked up various books and I have learned alot in the process. But now my question is this. I'm trying to build a studio. I already have drums, guitars, basses, keys, di boxes, mics for amps and drums, basically the instruments and a I have a mackie 24x8 console that I bought from my church. I also have the hr824 for monitoring. Now my question is this. I'm trying to get connected to the computer. I have a decent pc custom built very smooth and powerful 1.5 gb ram, 300 gb drive space,amd 64 3400, but I'm still stuck on how to get the actual music in the computer. I know I need a some sort of interface, but now my question is I've heard alot of a/d converters. So do I need a sound card or just the converter. I would definatly record more than 2 tracks at once maybe something like 16-20, all the drum mics and keys guitar etc. And if i need the converter how would I connect it to the system. I was looking at the MOTU 24I/O and my guess was to connect the tape outs from the board into the motu and then the outputs back to the tape returns? or just ellimating the tape returns all together and just connect the motu via firewire to the puter. And my other question is, I know that there are vairous control boards out there like the digidesign control 8 and the large control 24 and like the ones by mackie, but would there be a way that I could use the analog board to control my setup on the puter. Like in cubase or something? Well sorry for the long post but thanks alot guys

-cliff

thegatekeeper said:
...but would there be a way that I could use the analog board to control my setup on the puter. -cliff
What is it you would like to do here exactly? Analog routing yes, but digi-control..?
Wayne

Basically what I want to do is this. I saw this dude at guitar center during a session use the control 24 to control his mix in pro tools. What I wanted to know if it was possible was to control the mix through the analog board during mixing. And I also wanted to know what was the best way of recording audio to my computer when there are alot of channels involved without having to deal with pro tools for the sake of the budget. Like for example if I wanted to record live, how could I get everything on the computer. My initial thought was to use the 24i/o by motu and maybe use digital performer. I mix for a church and we would be using alot of channels at the same time and there alot of open mics and instruments vocals etc plus it is live so only one shot to get it right. Plus we have access to 2 powerful computers a dual 2.7 mac that the church owns and my pc. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Well the control 24 is made to control protools and I do believe it has 16 mic pre's but I'm pretty sure you still need a digi approved interface to use the control 24. Analog boards are basically huge mic pre's or channel strips and thats pretty much it. You can control volumes and stuff like that but only on the board not on the computer program so its not a controller. For example you couldn't take something like a soundcraft and get it to control your recording program. You idea of the motu and dp is a good one, i'm not totally familiar with either so i'll let someone else comment on that.

Back