question about VST

virtouso

i have 2 questions about VSTs.

first I use FL studio. and it sims dll is the right format for vst that fl can find. is this standard format for all of DAWs? I just have to give the dll directory and that's all?

next question is every time I just add a vst I have to make fl to search for all of them. is there any other way to just add a single dll?

I'm not sure this will address your question(s). I've found VST plugins will install in different ways depending on who
they're from. Some will automatically scan and find the existing path to your plugins or VST folder then drop itself
in there and everything works fine after that. Others don't seem to scan and will prompt you to enter the desired path
pointing it to either your plugins or VST folder. Since I've only used one DAW (Reaper), I can only assume it would be a
similar situation for all.

For the most part yes it's as easy as telling DAW where to look but no there's rarely a way to add one without rescanning all.

Last time I used Sonar (admittedly a long time ago now), it was still DX based, and didn't really do VST natively. You had to run a process to create some wrapper thing to actually use them in the DAW. It was generally painless except for the few plugs it couldn't seem to figure out. They might have started doing that "invisibly" since then.

Logic and even PT used to be pretty exclusive to their own plugin formats, but I think they've gotten over that. (???) There are some others also that just don't do VST. You shouldn't be using them anyway. ;)

I'm not sure this will address your question(s). I've found VST plugins will install in different ways depending on who
they're from. Some will automatically scan and find the existing path to your plugins or VST folder then drop itself
in there and everything works fine after that. Others don't seem to scan and will prompt you to enter the desired path
pointing it to either your plugins or VST folder. Since I've only used one DAW (Reaper), I can only assume it would be a
similar situation for all.

This sums it up. I wish they put all of them in one folder as a standardization, but they don't.
You can tell them where to install the VST, move the VST after the fact into the folder you want (sometimes this causes problems), or point the DAW to the VST folder where it installed.

Back