question about mixer

matt's bedroom

my mixer arrived yesterday, in the end i ordered a phonic mm1002, just about all i could afford :).

i haven't been able to experiment with it yet but having followed mixing threads on this board and read the manual twice i've got a good idea of how i'm gonna set it up.

there was one question that i had about it tho: i'm going simply from the mains out to the soundcard in, however, there's a left mains out and a right mains out. currently i'm only going to be recording data from 1 mic on 1 channel (this is mono, right?). so if i opted to output this channel from, say, the left mains out, how should i pan it to hear the same balance through each headphone? (i don't want it to just come out the left one)
do i pan it centrally or do i need to pan all the way left because it's coming out the left mains out?

my other question is what difference does it make if you go out the left or right mains out with with a mono signal (which is what i think i have in the above situation), or doesn't it matter?

i've never used a mixer before now, so sorry if this is a silly, self-explanatory question.
i'd like to be sure of what i'm doing and how it works though :) ,

thanks
-matt

Matt,

First pan centered if this is just a 2 out board.

Next, some equipment is stereo out. 2 channel. Left and Right. Right. Right. Okay, on a lot of equipment, it tells you that the left channel is mono (kinda an industry standard). Not all equip is made this way and some are and they just don't tell you. Good rule of thumb. When in doubt always us left channel out for mono.

Peace

What cable are you using now to connect the mixer to the soundcard? Are the left/right outputs RCA (white/red) jacks?

If they are you need something like this:

mini-jack_rca.jpg

They White/Red RCA jacks plug into the Left/Right outputs of the mixer, and the 1/8" Jack goes into the 'line in' on the PC soundcard.

Sounds like you need some good stereo adapter cables. Don't panic, these aren't expensive and even the ones from Radio Shack will work quite well for most purposes.

Back