Question about inputs on Focusrite Pro 14 Audio Interface

thos

Hi,
Forgive me if this is a dumb question...

I'm looking for an audio interface to get into recording on my iMac with Logic Pro X. It's been awhile since I've looked at gear (years ago I had an m-audio interface which was just OK), and I'm seeing alot of good reviews for Focusrite products.

I'm looking in the under $500 range. Mainly planning to record with acoustic instruments in a home studio setting (usually just a couple at a time), but would like the ability to record with more inputs at a time, eventually.

Specifically, I'm looking at the Focusrite Saffire 14 as a good option. Looking at their fact sheet about it:
Saffire PRO 14 | Focusrite

Now my question is this: It's listed as having 8 total inputs. However when you look at the unit, there are two mic/line inputs on the front (with preamps), two line inputs on the back. and a SPDIF input (total five input jacks).

So I'm a little confused: Are the inputs able to carry two analog audio signals each (with TRS cables). Is that how they get to 8 inputs? In other words is it possible to put a stereo mic (or pair) into one of the inputs, and record two distinct channels of audio?

Not counting the SPDIF, how many separate analog audio inputs can I actually record at once with the Saffire Pro14?

Thanks!

Tom

(PS any other insight on audio interfaces, Focusrite products, USB 2.0 vs Thunderbolt, etc are welcome!)

I think they are counting the combo mic/line inputs on the front as separate inputs, which seems a bit misleading.

Or they are including the pair of loopback inputs. Which is misleading too.

I think they are counting the combo mic/line inputs on the front as separate inputs, which seems a bit misleading.

Or they are including the pair of loopback inputs. Which is misleading too.

Thanks.

That's kinda what I suspected. Obviously you can't use input 1 and 2 as XLR and line (1/4 ") inputs at the same time.

However, is it possible to use a single input as a stereo input from a stereo mic or pair? So you're getting two audio signals into two channels from one input?

Thanks for your reply.

Tom

Two on the front, two on the back, SPDIF = stereo so that's two more, and two loopbacks (whatever they are...) = 8 - according to the Focusrite Key Features page...

The Pro 14 seems to have the same connectivity as my NI KA6 and Focusrite 8i6, 2 mic/line/instru inputs and two line ins on the back and 4 analogue outs. It is an excellent interface I am sure for the price but beware that it is Firewire and so will not work on anything other than a mac as a general rule. It also does not seem to have a second FW connector? This was common on FW AIs in the past to allow (usually up to 3) similar interfaces to be daisy chained. Then, if you think you might need more inputs in the future look for something equipped with ADAT.

Dave.

Two on the front, two on the back, SPDIF = stereo so that's two more, and two loopbacks (whatever they are...) = 8 - according to the Focusrite Key Features page...
Thanks. Yeah, what are loopbacks anyway?

Seems like as far as analog audio inputs, the Pro 14 really has 4 inputs (2 XLRs with preamps and 2 line-ins) which can be used at the same time. Which is actually OK for me.

I'm just comparing things and trying to understand what I'm really getting..

I wouldn't mind more inputs, but I'm leaning toward starting with this small one (Pro 14), and maybe later upgrading to something like the Pro40 (which has 8 XLR/preamp inputs and 2 line ins, but is over twice the price and less portable), if I get to the point where I need it (and if I like Focusrite..)

I think the ideal for me would be 4 XLR/line inputs with preamps, plus maybe a couple other line inputs, but it doesn't appear Focusrite has that option. If anyone has a suggestion of a good audio interface in that range let me know. Or any other input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Loopback is a pair of inputs to play or record web-based content, like streams. Select loopback routing from the software mixer. It's a feature on LynxAudio cards and I use it all the time.

I recorded a whole album (with MIDI drums...) with a 2 input interface. Unless you have a specific need to play multiple instruments at once, and you're not doing real drums, you can get a long way with that Focusrite box.

And you can buy external pres if you want to and go in via line in.

I think Tascam has something with 4 XLR inputs/pres and Presonus may as well. Not sure on the Firewire connectivity.

Back