question about direct box

Azza666

hey all,

still trying to get my head around the world of mixers lol and just had a question about using a direct box for guitars, etc.

from what i gather, a direct box is used to change the impedance level of your guitar or bass or whatever so that it can be picked up properly by the mixer

otherwise, you can just run from your amps line out into the mixer if you dont have a direct box yes?

anyway my question is: what about effect pedals and stomp boxes, etc, can you use them as a direct box? e.g. i have a zoom multi effects pedal but i dont have a direct box.... can i just run the output from my effect pedal into the mixer or does that need to go into a direct box before it gets to the mixer?

lastly, can anyone recommend any "good" direct boxes or are they all pretty universal for all instruments?

any help or advice anyone could give would be muchly appreciated :)

thanks heaps!!

cheers

If my understanding of a DI box is correct, its pretty much used to lift the ground on an XLR connector or even a 1/4 plug? this is concept is to remove any groundloops that will occur from your amp and mix not sharing a common ground.

If my understanding of a DI box is correct, its pretty much used to lift the ground on an XLR connector or even a 1/4 plug? this is concept is to remove any groundloops that will occur from your amp and mix not sharing a common ground.

DIs do have ground lifts, but that is not their main function.

A DI converts a variety of signals into a balanced low impedance mike level input. The two main purposes of a DI box are to minimise noise (including ground loops), and to deliver a fairly uniform signal to a mixing desk's mike input.

Assorted guitar pedals will not replicate the function of a DI box. Most of them are designed to sit in-line between a guitar and an amp. Some, however, do have designated DI outputs, i.e. there is a DI function built into the unit.

Back