Question about ASIO driver

seongkeat

Hi there... what is the ASIO buffer size actually? i understand that the lower buffer size give the less latency.. but will the lower buffer size will reduce my input sound source quality?

Hi there... what is the ASIO buffer size actually? i understand that the lower buffer size give the less latency.. but will the lower buffer size will reduce my input sound source quality?

The buffer is exactly what is says, a buffer. You need it because the CPU in your pc tends to multitask in bursts, it will read a bunch of data from the buffer, do something with it then move on to another task, then come back and read some more. If you didn't have a buffer then you would have gaps in your samples.

The bigger your buffer, the bigger you latency, small buffer = smaller latency.

However, if you buffer is too small, the buffer fills up between being read by the CPU, then samples get lost witch mean you get glitches and drop outs.

So no, a lower buffer size doesn't mean lower quality unless the buffer is too small.

oic... thanks for the reply... so actually how much will the buffer size normally? 512 ? because if i use 512 samples buffer size... i will have around 12.xx ms latency which show in my CUBASE configuration.. so is this ok? what i saw from some others people... they used to have only around 5ms latency... so any opinion on this ? Thanks

oic... thanks for the reply... so actually how much will the buffer size normally? 512 ? because if i use 512 samples buffer size... i will have around 12.xx ms latency which show in my CUBASE configuration.. so is this ok? what i saw from some others people... they used to have only around 5ms latency... so any opinion on this ? Thanks

I use 128 samples, but the latency is still quite high. It on;y matters if you are monitoring what you are recording through Cubase. I generally montor what I record directly through the interface so the latency doesn't matter, 'cos cubase takes care if it for the recording.

Someone (injun_joe or something) did post a link to a tool for more precisely measuring you latency (in the computer recording forum I think) and there were a whole bunch of replies from people who actually measured if for their interface. Might be worth having a look there.

Back