Qs about pre-amp in/out cabling

kiteman

it's been about 15 years but i bought this pre-amp for singing vocals (edit, since it's my first post i can't use links apparently). but if you google it you'll see it: Art Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp

now i think this will work as an audio interface and allow me to plug my acoustic guitar in, and then into the computer for a clean recording?

the main question i have is the back has in/out 1/4" and XLR. can i go IN with 1/4" for my guitar and OUT with the XLR? are 1/4" and XLR interchangeable in this regard? the other question is should i buy either or both an XLR and 1/4" cable to USB in order to plug in to my computer for the cleanest sound? i have looked up these items on amazon, none are very inspiring.

last question is how will all of this sound? i really don't know if it would just be worth it to buy a modern $100 audio interface today instead. thanks for any help!

The analogue to USB cables are the most dire product to inflict the audio industry. They work. As in audio appears in the computer. To get decent audio from it to your computer needs and interface - probably best to start with a modest one - Scarlett 2i2 area good device for starting out. The XLR balanced outs are probably worth using, but it will work fine with unbalance ¼" if you already have them.

The analogue to USB cables are the most dire product to inflict the audio industry. They work. As in audio appears in the computer. To get decent audio from it to your computer needs and interface - probably best to start with a modest one - Scarlett 2i2 area good device for starting out. The XLR balanced outs are probably worth using, but it will work fine with unbalance ¼" if you already have them.

Thanks. So you think the pre amp I have is not going to be worth using as an audio interface for the guitar? Should it be tossed or does it even have a use as a mic pre amp, or is the one built into the Scarlett better even for that?

Thanks. So you think the pre amp I have is not going to be worth using as an audio interface for the guitar? Should it be tossed or does it even have a use as a mic pre amp, or is the one built into the Scarlett better even for that?
As a front-end to an audio interface for a direct guitar input, I would say there's no advantage to that preamp. A good, modern interface with a couple of flexible inputs (accepting microphones, instrument and line level inputs, and providing phantom power for condenser mics - very basic stuff) will get your guitar signal to the computer in good quality.

Now, you could still use that preamp with an audio interface by taking one of its outputs into the interface and specifying that input as LINE level. The ART's not a fantastic piece of gear, but you never know, it might sound good in the right application, and it's got a fair amount of gain on hand, which might be useful for some microphones, at least to try. I've never used that preamp, but (from fuzzy recollection) the quality of the tube in that thing will affect the character, and the stock tube is not well thought of. However, a good tube might not make a difference worth its cost, so I'd wait until you have the new interface figured out, and try it out, before tossing more $ at it.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused - you talk as if it IS an audio interface, but it's simply a preamp - so if you want to use and want to capture it's 'sound' you need an interface. The snag is if you can actually hear what that little tube is doing. Me being a pessimist, I doubt it.

I'm a little confused - you talk as if it IS an audio interface, but it's simply a preamp - so if you want to use and want to capture it's 'sound' you need an interface. The snag is if you can actually hear what that little tube is doing. Me being a pessimist, I doubt it.
I got the impression from your previous reply and careful reading of his initial post that he was asking about an XLR->USB adapter/cable, i.e., going the shortest (and possibly least expensive) route from the ART to the computer. Most of us here would agree that it's a bad choice, if there are funds available to consider a 2i2 or similar.

Back