Putting up originals on here that are not copyrighted?

There is still money to be made on the worry of musicians that their work will be stolen, and there is still money to be made (or the loss of profit offset) by suing for "unauthorized use" of copyrighted works. But this is becoming less relevant because of the ease with which electronic media like music and the tools to create it can be shared and manipulated. The environment in which old profit models were once so successful is changing rapidly and dramatically.

I don't worry much about protecting a thing that would decrease in value if it became more popular. Prince does, and he is pretty good. But who has the resources to put up that kind of effort? Are you going to sue if somebody steals your music? If so, copyright that shit. Unless you like paying lawyers for no reason, you better hope it gets stolen by Warner Brothers and not some broke-dick HR user. What can I sue for if my music isn't really worth anything? I don't make a living selling recordings.

I have had my music "stolen" by people uploading my recordings and even sold on compilations. I am pretty lucky to have enough interest in my music that someone would go to all the trouble.

Are you saying that it sounds like she's just complaining about nothing? If so, you are part of the problem. Also, put yerself in her shoes and think about how you'd feel: first yer song gets blatantly ripped off; then you lose yer court battle because the judge is basically an idiot; and then you get sued for filing a completely legitimate lawsuit in the first place. You think that's sour grapes?? I highly question your ability to comprehend the situation and the precedent this case has established. It's bad for ALL of us who create intellectual property, but especially for songwriters.

I'm willing to bet you've never made a single dime from any of your musical endeavors, which is why you fail to not only comprehend the seriousness of this situation but also explains yer complete lack of empathy for Rebecca F.

Rebecca's associates sent the files to Gaga's people. That precipitated the entire fucking fiasco.

Rebecca said:
My allegation remains that my ex-engineer/ex-bass player/ex-boyfriend Brian manipulated and used my “Juda” ProTool sessions – which he has copies of – as original source material for songs he sent Lady Gaga.

Rebecca isn't suing Brian because, as she says on her blog:

Rebecca said:
Anyway, my ex-engineer Brian (like most excellent musicians) was one of the first, penniless, class. Talented, but bereft of connections.

Rebecca is claiming damages from Gaga for $1,400,000 because she thinks this is her meal ticket. Brian, for whom Rebecca has in all likelihood rescinded booty-call privileges, is the proximate cause of the damage. Rebecca is lucky her case was even heard; it is generated more interest in her than her other efforts, which is why she talks about it so much on her blog and bio and on wikipedia: It's All About You (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She seems like kind of a douche.

Back