Putting a Mixer through a Single input Audio interface?

Adamzappel

ok so, i am completely absolutely new to this, like really really, and i'm not sure if what i think is right?
would i be able to plug a mixer (probably a Mackie proFX12) into a cheap audio interface (like a M-Audio Fast Track MKII) and then use the inputs on the mixer the same way as say, all the inputs on the Presonus firepod? or am i totally misunderstanding this? :confused:
:( sorry if this is a stupid/frequently asked question, thanks for any help :o

The mixer would be redundant as you will only be able to record 1 or 2 tracks at a time.

The more tracks you want to record at one time, the more inputs you need on your interface. Why would you want a mixer if you're going into a computer?

sorry buddy but your stuck with whatever your fast track gives you. unless you buy a new interface or a new mixer!

If you want to record multiple tracks onto your computer simultaneously, you need an audio interface with multiple inputs (at least as many as the number of tracks you want to record at once). You can then use the audio interface instead of a mixer. Or you can use a mixer, but it needs to have an output for each track you want to record through the interface into the computer.

The Mackie ProFX12 actually has USB, which allows you to record the main mix onto your computer. This would eliminate the need for the Fast Track MKII in this case.

I hope this helps,
Damian

sorry buddy but your stuck with whatever your fast track gives you. unless you buy a new interface or a new mixer!
Luckily i didn't purchase either yet! (i'm not THAT stupid with my money :P )

so the Mackie mixer i was looking at works so as an audio interface? anything else i would need, not including mics, and instruments?
thanks

Google says that the Mackie proFX12 has USB, which means it has an inbuilt interface. You don't need an additional interface.

However, as others have said, if you want to keep multiple inputs separate in your recording, you will need a multiple input interface.

what about external preamps? is it worth the extra money or should i not bother? (i can afford an average price preamp so im just curious)

Luckily i didn't purchase either yet! (i'm not THAT stupid with my money :P )

so the Mackie mixer i was looking at works so as an audio interface? anything else i would need, not including mics, and instruments?
thanks

The Mackie has an interface but you would still only be able two record a 2 track mix with it. The Presonus Firepod seems like a much better deal to me.

how come it can only record 2 tracks? are there any mixers that i would be able to record at least an 8 track mix with?

Something like this Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0. It only has 4 mic preamps, though. Be careful because a lot of USB mixers only send a stereo signal to your computer.

Are you opposed to an audio interface or do you just want a mixer?
to be completely honest, i'd rather have a mixer mostly for aesthetic reasons... i know.. but yeah, if a mixer is just a inferior option, then i would go for an audio interface

For multi-track recording, look at the Allen & Heath ZedR16 which uses firewire.
Allen & Heath are great, but wayy out of my price range (as a 16 year old doin whatever jobs i can get to scrounge up the money, i was hoping to keep the hole studio less than the price of that mixer hahaha)
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...nterface-and-Control-Surface-?sku=244015#used
(sorry i don't know how to post links properly?)
what do you think of the Alesis master Control?

how come it can only record 2 tracks? are there any mixers that i would be able to record at least an 8 track mix with?

Be sure to look at the Phonic Firewire mixers. You might find one at a very reasonable price on Craigslist or ebay or even here at HR. Mic pre's aren't touted as being as great as other manufacturers, but I don't think they're bad. Most of my songs go through them, they sound okay.

Although they are mixers, the audio signal that is streamed to the computer is pre-faders, so the actual mixer part is not affecting the audio. This is desirable. You don't want to tweak on your audio until you hear it with the rest of your tracks. I don't believe the Alesis has that capability.

cheers,

It looks good and has a lot of features.

However, it only has two mike preamps. Were I to be using it, I would be seriously limited by it. I use a Presonus Firepod, which has eight mike preamps, and I often use all.

I think that you would definitely be limited by only 2 mic preamps. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, though.

If you just want a mixer, maybe an all in one multitrack would be the way to go. Something like the Korg D888. It's a hard disk recorder. Once you get your tracks recorded, transfer them to your computer for editing.

ok so theres been a lot of ideas! what would you guys suggest for a whole home studio on a budget of about $1,000 (i can go higher if needed) the only thing i'm certain on so far is a pair of KRK rokkit monitors.
orrr post info on your studio and how much it cost you?

Last edited:
Back