Problems with Sterling ST51 Microphone

GG2213

Hi, recently I have been recording some songs just for fun on my Macbook using a cheap M-Audio Fast Track, a Shure SM58 microphone, and Garageband. However, I no longer have the Shure SM58 so earlier today I went and bought a Sterling ST51 but when I plug it into my interface and my interface into my computer via USB, it picks up nothing. I am doing exactly what I used to with the Shure so I don't know what is going wrong. I am very new to this so it could possibly be something as simple as turning the microphone on or putting in batteries haha. Anyone know what my problem is or have any suggestions? Thanks.

Brother, you have a definite problem. The Sterling is a condenser mic. It requires phantom power, which is sent back up the cable to the mic to polarize the diaphragm. The Fast Track does not produce phantom power. You need to do one of the following:

1. Return the Sterling and buy a dynamic microphone

2. Upgrade your interface

3. buy a phantom power supply, such as:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=1989&Category=Recording_Accessories

Best of luck-Richie

I looked at the Fast Track on line, it says it provides phantom power, now phantom only comes through the xlr jacks from what I've read here. You will have to have an xlr to xlr cable to power a condenser mic, like the Sterling. The 58 was a dynamic mic not requiring phantom. the 1/4" in does not provide phantom if I read correctly here. Good news if you plan to combine condensers and dynamics.

Ya ha! Looks like we are both right. The unit appears to have been upgraded, which of course, added about $50 to the price of the unit. So- if you've got phantom power, turn it on. If not, see my advice above. Thanks for updating me Buzzard. If you are considering buying one, it looks like you better know which unit you are getting.-Richie

Thanks for your replies. I think the best option for me is to upgrade my interface. I am not looking for anything too expensive or fancy but I do want to upgrade from the bottom of the line Fast Track. The one thing that I really don't like about my fast track is that you have to disconnect the USB every time you want to hear back your recording through your computer speakers. Do either of you guys have any suggestions on interfaces that would solve this problem as well as have phantom power?

Back